Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

14mo not eating

(7 Posts)

DD has a bit of a cold. She didn't eat any supper last night (apart from a bit of yoghurt), slept for 15 hours which is very uncharacteristic (usually it's about 11) and now hasn't had any breakfast this morning. She did have milk before bed and first thing this morning. She looks knackered and keeps lying down on the floor in an exhausted way.

Is she just fighting the cold? I don't want to (can't!) force her to eat but I'm worried that she now hasn't had any proper food for 24 hours.

DrSeuss Sun 02-Dec-12 10:40:36

Sounds fairly average to me. Calpol, milk, anything she fancies even if it seems unhealthy. She will eat when she is ready.

Ok, thanks. She's had some calpol and gone back to bed now, so maybe she'll be hungry when she wakes up. She's never gone off her food before!

BeaWheesht Sun 02-Dec-12 11:55:30

Does she have a fever? Personally given how lethargic she is I'd get her checked out.

Temp is 37.4 which is ever so slightly higher than normal, but barely.

forevergreek Sun 02-Dec-12 12:25:42

Doctor a few weeks ago with 17 month old said they wouldn't be worried if all they had was water for 2 days if they feel I'll. If they will drink formula or breastfeed then better, and just let them have that mainly and offer alternatives when you eat but no pressure. Its the liquid that's most important when ill

I would offer milk/ water and her favourite foods and let her sleep it off

That's reassuring, thanks. She's had another giant nap this afternoon but then ate quite a lot of tea and is quite chirpy, so I think she's on the mend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now