Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this norovirus or reflux or what?!

(12 Posts)
redwellybluewelly Tue 04-Dec-12 23:21:20

I have had this with DD several times, sick at same time every night for days. Not uncommon in children apparently, dairy can make this worse, I kept her on a light diet for a week or so. Oh and I caught it the second day, children can remain infectious for up to a week to ten days according to our GP. I ended up off work for two weeks looking after DD.

Chocolateporridge Tue 04-Dec-12 15:30:18

Oh that's awful nance , people just don't realise how important it is to keep away from others while they're ill! sad

nancerama Tue 04-Dec-12 10:05:42

Last time DS caught it, he passed it onto DH. When DH is sick he can't keep down the meds that control his heart and keep him alive.

I guess it's that hidden disability thing that comes up all time.

Chocolateporridge Mon 03-Dec-12 20:24:20

nancerama I totally agree, its starting to make me wary of going places where there are other people.

I have one friend in particular who does this all the time, I'll invite her to my house with her ds or vice versa and its not until we're actually all together that she'll tell me that he's been ill. Even if I text her beforehand to specifically ask her, she'll avoid telling me angry. I made a point of telling her about the 48 hour rule today when she texted me!

nancerama Sun 02-Dec-12 22:08:41

Poor DS has this for the second time in as many months hmm

Both times he's been playing with other kids when the parents have cheerfully mentioned s/he threw up everywhere this morning, but s/he seems fine now.

PLEASE follow the guidelines. If your child is sick, keep them home for 48 hours after the symptoms clear to stop it spreading.

Geekster Sat 01-Dec-12 21:32:09

That's good that she's getting better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that dd isn't sick tonight either but not getting my hopes up. Me and hubby are ok now, so at least that's something especially with only one toilet in the house! Hope you feel better soon too.

Chocolateporridge Sat 01-Dec-12 21:22:24

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. It does sound like what you've all had geekster . She's not had any more loose bowels today and she's been drinking and having wet nappies so here's hoping that we have a sick free night tonight!
I've had to spend the entire day in bed today, in between running to the loo! Just hoping hubby doesn't get it next but he's got a cold so not looking good for him.....

piglettsmummy Sat 01-Dec-12 21:15:02

Doesn't sound like reflux, I you have already have experience of it you would 'just know' sounds like a sicky bug too me! Poor mite!

dikkertjedap Sat 01-Dec-12 21:13:33

I hope she is better now, if not, I would actually get her seen by a doctor as it seems to be going on for a while now.

The fact that you also contracted it seems to suggest that it is indeed a virus. The main risk for your dd is dehydration and that is why it is worth to get her checked out if it is still going on.

Geekster Sat 01-Dec-12 20:14:18

Sounds a bit like what my dd has got. She has got sickness and diarrhoea and a snotty nose. She has been vomiting in the middle of the night and had diarrhoea. The sick in the night seems to have snot in it. We took her to the doctors yesterday and they said norovirus can cause a runny nose as well as vomiting and diarrhoea I suppose it worse at night due to them being laid down. Me and my husband have both had it too, though we shared it he had the diarrhoea and I had the vomiting. Hope your dd feels better soon.

corblimeymadam Sat 01-Dec-12 10:45:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chocolateporridge Sat 01-Dec-12 09:26:28

My DD who is 2 woke up on Wed morning covered in vomit. She has a baby monitor in her room and we didn't hear/see anything which really frightened me as it looked like shed been laying on her back when it happened and I've no idea what time of night it happened at. She had a couple of loose nappies during the day but that's not unusual for her and she went to bed that night seeming fine but at 11.30pm I heard her cough so I snuck in just to check and caught her in the process of being violently sick again. We bathed her, cleaned up and got her back to bed and she slept fine. The next day she had a very runny nappy but was generally ok but I phoned the docs just in case and was told that there is a norovirus outbreak and to bring her in, which I didn't do because by that time I was running to the loo with diarrhoea too and the NHS website said not to bring kids with norovirus to docs to avoid transmitting it. Last night I decided to sleep in her room and it all went fine until midnight when she started coughing (she's had a night time cough for weeks since a heavy cold) and it almost sounded like she was forcing the cough out. I told her to stop making herself cough and the next minute she was vomiting everywhere. I've been giving her small amounts of toast and plain pasta over the course of the last two days because she says she's hungry but the fact that it seems to be around the same time every night and that she's not sick in the daytime are making me wonder if it's something else. My DH thinks maybe it's reflux, as she had this when she was 5 months old. Any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now