Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

BCG?

(3 Posts)

DH is from S Africa & even though has lived in the UK for 15 years, the HV says that both kids (2.4 & 7 weeks) should have the BCG. Is this right? Are there any reasons why we shouldn't have it? Appointment is next week.

Selim Fri 16-Nov-12 22:19:10

Yes its right, one of mine had it just after birth and the others before they started school. Its not a nice injection but TB is on the rise. i don't know of any reason not to have it, I don't think there is any controversy except it doesn't offer full protection. My cousin had TB last year despite being vaccinated. She is british born and has always lived here and has no idea who she caught it from (her parents flit back and forward a lot but tested -ve).

Lillyaan Sun 18-Nov-12 18:00:07

In the UK the 7/52 should have had BCG either after birth or on an imminent list.
As with the two other sibs they should have had also. TB is Highly contagous and stats are increasing. Vac is recommended even if NOT going abroad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now