Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Constipation...or not

(8 Posts)
Tweasels Fri 16-Nov-12 08:36:38

Oh, I didn't know that about weetabix, she has it 2-3 times a week. I've clearly got a lot to learn. Never had any of these issues with DS so it's all new to me. Will have a good read of all the other threads.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

myhandslooksoold Thu 15-Nov-12 22:46:25

Just read another thread (there's several on the go this evening!) and I see weetabix is not advised so I retract that advice!

Eachpeachpearwherestheplum Thu 15-Nov-12 22:10:02

Read Constipation, Withholding and Your Child: A Family Guide to Soiling and Wetting, If you are worried request an xray after taking markers.

Tweasels Thu 15-Nov-12 20:48:02

Hope your DC's get better soon

Tweasels Thu 15-Nov-12 20:47:18

Thanks, that's interesting. I'll may be think about the doctors then.

myhandslooksoold Thu 15-Nov-12 20:28:35

My dd2 was like this and then it seemed to get worse and worse and the delay between pooing got longer and longer. It's a nightmare now, the spends hours (days) crying with pain and having difficulty letting go. She's on movicol and lactose. I'm beside myself with anxiety for her....
I never thought it would end up like this as dd1 only pooed every few days with no ill effect. She had a diet high in raisins and dried fruit. When she was a bit older she had to have a filling which then got an abscess and had to be pulled out. The dentist told me raisins etc were a nightmare on teeth, so I really cut them out of the kids diet.
So I don't know what my advice is really....
I would make sure your dd has a really great diet, with weetabix or porridge for breakfast and keep a very close eye on it. Much beyond 3 days i would beon it quickly.
Hth

SucksToBeMe Thu 15-Nov-12 20:23:11

I am having a poo problem with DS now, to date he has not had a poo for SEVEN days. I took him to the doctor and he gave me some Movicol. He's had 8 sachets but still nothing. He's always been irregular and I wish I'd addressed the problem ages ago. Sorry I have no helpful advice.

Tweasels Thu 15-Nov-12 20:17:00

DD 17 months only poos every other day or sometimes every third day. She will sometimes look like she's having a poo, straining etc but nothing.

She is happy and fine in herself although you can see her tummy is bloated by the third day. When the poo finally arrives, it's big, solid (but not too hard) and healthy looking (sorry, I know that sounds ridiculous smile)

She drinks loads of water and eats a healthy diet and I've cut out bananas as MIL said they could be the problem.

DD has always been like this since she was born. When she was EBF she rarely poo'd at all, so this is not a new or short term thing.

So, what I need to know is, do you think this is worth bothering the doctor about and also any handy hints to get her bowels moving more regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now