Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Rectal Prolapse - 2.5 year old

(5 Posts)
Selks Fri 16-Nov-12 22:06:48

Could he be constipated, hence the loose poo (runny 'overspill' poo bypassing harder compacted stools). if he has a compaction maybe that has put pressure on his anus.

Are you going to get it checked out?

Meowser Thu 15-Nov-12 08:05:52

Thanks for ideas.

I didn't think I would recognise such a thing but I was struck by how circular the tissue I saw was at first I thought he might have swallowed something plastic. I've since looked at lots of images online of hemariods and it wasn't at all lumpy like that. I've thought about cutting out diary but am loathed for him to miss out on that nutrition and calcium. It's probably something we will have to try. I feel I need some dietary advice to menu plan and make sure he is well nourished (he is quite slim). I also have a 9 month old so dread having to do different meals as its bound to create stress & arguments. But obviously health is most important.

narmada Wed 14-Nov-12 22:41:53

What I meant to say is that often with MP allergy, minimising intake of dairy is not enough - it needs to be totally removed from the diet.

narmada Wed 14-Nov-12 22:40:46

Not much practical information but very impressed you can recognise a concentric rectal prolapse when you see one. I wouldn't know one if it was staring me right in the eye ...

Your poor wee man. How horrible for you all. I am sure that seeing a doc/ consultant is the right thing to do in this case.

You mentioned your DS has had other bowel issues and reflux and that you have cut out dairy from his diet sometimes. Has he ever been considered for milk protein allergy? THat to me would seem a possibility given he also has an egg allergy and given the reflux. But of course I could be completely barking up the wrong tree.

The only way to 'test' for a non-anaphylactic milk allergy is, I believe, dietary restriction. You need to be really thorough and completely cut out all traces of dairy, hidden and obvious. Soy is often a common cross-allergen for those with MPI. May be something to try while you wait for the doctor's referral to come through, unless you have reason to believe he is malnourished and therefore that cutting out a food group (even temporarily) would be inadvisable...

Meowser Wed 14-Nov-12 21:52:54

My son is 2.5 and today when wiping his bottom after a #2 I discovered concentric rectal prolapse. It was very shocking and worrying (although obviously I didnt show any panic - jolly jolly). It went back in on its own when he stood up I asked him to bend so I could have another look but it was gone but I am now very very worried.

He has always had loose stools, its rare for him to have well formed whole stools. He had acid reflux as a baby which (post ranitadine treatment) cleared up by the time he was1. He can continued to be sensitive to fruit and acidic food which I minimise. I have always attributed it to an acid sensitivity and not been too worried about loose stools. He does seem to have had more than the average number of D&V bugs (including rotovirus at 9 months that lasted 10 days) He also has a persistent cough that flares up regularly which we are trying to control with inhalers (currently a steroid one).

The last week he has wanted to hold my hand when he has been doing a poo and saying "its hard work Mummy" and really struggling. It makes my heart break. This was before I saw the prolapse.

Anyone with similar experiences? Any advice? Should I be changing his diet? How can I minimise the loose stools? When he had toddler diarrhoea ( for 1 month) after a tummy bug I minimised diary and veg but I couldnt see any change really. Also he does have an egg allergy but Im fairly certain there is no exposure to this (as far as I can based on food labels).

I have read the doctors fact sheet on the condition and have asked for a hospital referral so looking more for a practical Mums perspective if anyone has one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now