Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Rotavirus - can I pay for my DD 21MO to have the vaccine?

(9 Posts)
reastie Mon 12-Nov-12 13:47:52

She hasn't had rotavirus yet <touches wood madly>. I looked into paying for her to have the vaccine some months ago but just found it is for young babies via droplet so assumed I was too late. Was watching BBC news over the week end and they were discussing rotavirus vaccine for babies and the expert said the only reason they weren't immunising older children was as they may well have already had it. This implies to me that that it is possible to get it done older but I can't find anywhere online confirming this or about how I go about immunising DD from it. Does anyone know if it can be done to toddlers and how I might go about trying to get DD immunised?

PoppyAmex Mon 12-Nov-12 13:53:48

Good point. Marking my place, as I'd be interested too.

reastie Wed 14-Nov-12 18:35:17

Bumping this in hope someone can help

Welovecouscous Wed 14-Nov-12 18:36:05

Baby jabs would probably know

isw Wed 14-Nov-12 18:38:21

There must be DD now 5 had this as part of her routine baby vaccines in Spain. Pretty sure it was jag not drops but it was a while ago ... Have u tried contacting private vaccination centres ?

reastie Wed 14-Nov-12 18:40:09

Ni ISW as I didn't know such places existed blush . We paid for DD to have chicken pox vaccine and that was done via an NHS GP. I asked them re: rotavirus but they seemed unsure, but I'm not sure they would do it very often even if it was possible.

Welovecouscous Wed 14-Nov-12 18:58:08
SElady Wed 14-Nov-12 21:01:02

I think the answer is no, as the only one available in this country is the Rotarix and the two doses have to be administered by the time the child is 6 months old. We paid for DS to have it when he was a baby, he still catches the virus but he also shakes it somewhat quicker than the other two DC. Having said that he is our second born and with our third born we decided not to vaccinate as we didn't think it made a massive difference.

reastie Thu 15-Nov-12 07:18:18

yes, it looks like that doesn't it sad . Oh well, worth checking I guess hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now