Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Strange Jaw Movements. Help needed.

(2 Posts)
Mondaybaby Mon 12-Nov-12 10:02:25

I am going to post this in the behaviour and development thread too. I hope it is ok to post in 2 threads at the same time.
My dd is 26 months. For the last 6 or 7 weeks she has been making repeated movements with her lower jaw, moving it from side to side. Sometimes these movements last for a few seconds and sometimes she will do it for 15 seconds or so. She does not seem too bothered by them but they must be quite tiring. Some days she does this very often and other days it seems to be less frequent. There is no pattern to when she does these jaw movements. It is day and night, even as she is falling asleep. She does it when she is playing, watching tv, happy, bored, cross, etc. I have mostly ignored and not drawn attention to this behaviour but yesterday she was doing it all day and quite vigorously. I asked her if she could stop the movements and she said no.
I am really worried as it isn't passing as I thought it would when it started. It is getting worse. In all other ways she is a bright, happy little girl. She has her moments like all toddlers but I have no issues with her behaviour or development. I have googled Tourettes and the facial movemets do seem to fit with this syndrome but it seems children are older than 2 when they develop symptoms.
I am sorry about the long post but does anyone have any ideas or experience of this kind of behaviour? I am so worried.

BeaWheesht Mon 12-Nov-12 10:11:18

Ds does this - he is 5. In his case it's because his ear needs popped (possible glue ear) and that seems to help it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now