Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toothpaste for 'big' teeth that's not too minty?

(34 Posts)

DD1 been told by dentist that now she has some big teeth she needs to use adult toothpaste. We tried one 'mild' toothpaste but she hated it, so we got Aquafresh Big Teeth in the hope that as it's designed for children it would be less strong but she hates that too. We're using the teeniest amount but she's in tears every teeth cleaning time which is not good. Anyone got any suggestions? I can't bear the 'it's toooooo miiiinty' wailing any more.

Minimaxkids Mon 19-Nov-12 22:59:52

Mine like co op kids toothpaste.
Have no idea of fluoride content, but compared to colgate and aqua fresh, it isn't minty at all apparently.
And cheap.

Willdoitinaminute Sat 24-Nov-12 16:40:35

Mac leans have recently changed their flavouring to a lemony flavour. Worth a try.

Pocketmonster Sat 24-Nov-12 16:44:00

Green people and Weleda as well as Tom's of Maine do non minty grown up toothpastes that might be suitable?

brighthair Sat 24-Nov-12 16:46:33

I can't use mint toothpaste
So after much research grin peppa pig bubblegum has the same amount of fluoride, or I use dawood and tanner Sicilian lemon or lime
Occasionally cinnamon crest from amazon or my lovely friend in America
Mint burns my mouth, there's something in mint toothpaste that makes me feel like its on fire

The weleda did not go down well with my children. Bit aniseedy

olivo Sun 25-Nov-12 17:27:26

We had the same problem moving from little teeth to big teeth. I asked the pharmacist what the difference was and he said nothing! So we have stuck with the little teeth.

SKss Sat 09-Mar-13 10:45:32

Hi I'm a dentist and I see a lot of children who don't like mint toothpaste. The fact is that after 6 years of age, they need an adult toothpaste so that their teeth get the correct level of fluoride to help prevent cavities. I highly recommend Oranurse 1450ppm adult toothpaste. It is completely flavour free and does not foam. It was designed for people who could not tolerate mint due to radiotherapy or dry mouth conditions but it is also suitable for general use. The problem is that you can't buy it in shops but you can get it online and from amazon. Hope this helps.

Vodkapleasenurse Sat 09-Mar-13 10:51:06

I'm sure the aquafresh little teeth toothpaste contains 1450ppm fluoride so that should be fine to continue with.
As long as it has the right amount of fluoride in its fine to use.

4nomore Sat 09-Mar-13 10:56:19

My son is autistic and has issues with pretty much every toothpaste except the Colgate 0-3 one. His dentist recommended Oranurse as he needs a high flouride one now (7 with lots of adult teeth through) and that is flavourless so I just add a smear of the mild baby one that he's accustomed to on top - works very well for him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now