Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Movicol users in need you!

(5 Posts)
mandhann Thu 15-Nov-12 22:07:03

Thank you so much for your messages, its good to know that we are not alone, its so frustrating as we seem to go round in circles she clears out then withholds again and round we go again. we have had this problem for 2 years now and although I know its not her fault and I can deal with it at home, its school I worry about I know the other kids say stuff about her and she doen't have many friends. She can't go to swimming clubs or gymnastics as she is likely to have an accident, it really holds her back.

miarosemum Tue 13-Nov-12 21:40:08

I have been through this with dd, basically her poo needs to be coming out like water and only then has it all cleared..then gradually cut back to allow the bowel to go back to shape..good luck

Snowflakepie Tue 13-Nov-12 11:10:28

Hugs to you both, it can take some time to get it all out if it has been impacted a while. The best way I can describe how it looked when DD cleared was like gravy with sludgy lumps (sorry). It's the lumps you want. It can be a week, as if the issue is withholding they still try to hold on to that hard bit. Lots and lots to drink too, if you can. If after that time it still does not seem to work then you may need a stimulant added too, senna or bisacodyl seem to be more successful in some children. My DD is nearly 3, still in nappies and utterly unreasonable about the whole thing and does tend to relapse, we have been battling it for about a year now. Movicol has been a godsend for us, she is currently on one sachet every other day but is starting to hold again so will be upping it to every day. The first impaction she finally cleared after 12 days so do persevere. It is heartbreaking and so frustrating at times. Try to remember that it is not a deliberate act, it's a behaviour similar to things like OCD that even if they understand there is a problem, they just can't stop. That thought really helped me when I was at my lowest last summer. I also found a book on amazon called constipation and withholding and honestly, just knowing someone understood made a world of difference. Hope that helps, just ask if there is anything else you want to know! X

mandhann Sat 10-Nov-12 22:18:21

Hi glad i'm not the only one having the joys movicol, Sorry I'm no help but I am in the same boat, my dd started a two week course a week ago and has had the runs ever since. I was told to keep her on it for the duration to make sure she is completly cleared and then lower dose. However yesterday she became really de-hydrated and I have had to stop, I tried to call GP and the nurse who helps with my dd's toileting but neither got back to me. Like you I had no real advice on how to know if she was clear, although from my experience with my dd and from knowledge I have acquired, I would say you would need to continue with the dose as he does sound like he is still impacted, part of being impacted does make you pass some watery stools as poo builds up around the blockage and only water seeps past along with some small hard stools. Until that passes I would carry on a high dose, hopefully in a day or two it will take effect. Good luck its not pleasant!

Eachpeachpearwherestheplum Sat 10-Nov-12 10:11:05

How do I know when DS's impaction has gone?
We are day 4 of movicol since xray with hospital . We are now on 10 sachets. We have had 2 episodes of runny poo (1 this morning) and loads of dry little soiling.
Called GP to check what to do next and she said to keep going until a hard poo had also come out? Then move to 2-4 sachets as a maintainace dose.

How will I know the impaction has gone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now