Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mini-trazzle and his candles vs. neuroblastoma

(999 Posts)
Trazzletoes Mon 15-Oct-12 22:53:18

Hi, continuity thread for my little DS (3) who was diagnosed with neuroblastoma last week. Much gratitude for all the support the Trazzles have received. You nasty nest of vipers, you grin

Trazzletoes Wed 21-Nov-12 06:55:53

Happy honeymoon!

I hope so too. Feel worse today though. And not sure how today will work. I need to take DS to hospital because the dressing has come off where his Hickman Line goes in to his chest. But equally since I have a cold I can't take him... sigh

lc200 Wed 21-Nov-12 07:02:42

That's rubbish sad Hope you find a way round it.

strictlycaballine Wed 21-Nov-12 07:36:37

Morning Trazzles Sorry you are feeling rotten atm. Hope the day gets better and look after yourself x

thewhistler Wed 21-Nov-12 08:23:21

Sorry its so hard, Trazzle. Thinking of you.

dikkertjedap Wed 21-Nov-12 09:21:27

That's hard. Hope your DM or somebody else can take him to hospital and that your cold goes away soon.

Try to look after yourself and if at all possible, to have some rest.

Trazzletoes Wed 21-Nov-12 10:42:25

Slightly embarrassed as called the hospital and they pointed out that this is what the community nurses are for grin so they are coming out instead. Panic over.

DS has been sick this morning but I think that's just because I stopped his anti-sickness meds yesterday - this is all such a minefield!!!

Thumbwitch Wed 21-Nov-12 11:27:21

Hurrah for community nurses! And shame about the cold, hope that clears up soon.

Is he back on the anti-sickness drugs today?

ToffeeWhirl Wed 21-Nov-12 11:44:15

Sorry you are still feeling grotty with the cold, Trazzle. I like the whistler toddy - I'll be making a note of that too!

Don't be embarrassed about not knowing what the community nurses are for. You have been plunged into an unknown world and, of course, you can't know how it all works. Someone should have explained to you what to do if this situation occurred. It must have happened before!

Hope your DS is not sick again, poor lamb.

TeaMakesItToTheTop Wed 21-Nov-12 17:07:10

Afternoon Trazzle I didn't even know they had community nurses anymore after the end of Open All Hours so I'm one step behind you blush. I was shocked to come across the community midwife team when DS1 was on his way. Perhaps I should have put 2 and 2 together. I think the NHS is amazing - it continues to surprise me with the services it has - though to be fair I thought it was a bunch of GPs and some hospitals [numpty emoticon]

Hope you're feeling better soon and that Mr Joseph stops being sick soon.

Candles a-blazing and splodging for you and your family still.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 22-Nov-12 12:44:57

How are you both feeling today?

Just sending some love, hugs and cooling flannel on the forehead for you all at trazzletowers

fraktion Thu 22-Nov-12 22:05:16

I lost the thread blush so a bit of a catchup!

Overall you're sounding really positive and I'm so glad! The news that the chemo is kicking butt is great and it's fab that you managed to have a lovely weekend. Having a cold isn't so wonderful but in sending lots of get well thoughts your way and hurrah for community nurses!

Trazzletoes Thu 22-Nov-12 22:38:50

Hi all. This cold is a funny beast - I've just felt a bit run down, my ears itch (the sign that I'm coming down with something!) and I've sneezed a few times but that's it. Very odd.

Today has been very mixed. On the up side, Joe's Godfather is a fireman. Being 3, Joe LOVES firemen. Today we had a trip to the fire station. They had arranged for Joe to have a ride on one of the appliances, play with the hose AND set the sirens off! One extremely happy boy!

Then, because he was exhausted this afternoon and didn't want his daily injection, he slapped me round the face. Pre- meditated, full force, back of the hand. I can still feel it.

I know it's the illness and the medicine but I have never been so disappointed in my life.

And I cooked dinner (chicken curry) for the first time since about January grin. And it was delish! A surprise bonus!

Trazzletoes Thu 22-Nov-12 22:39:22

By the way... I never ask... How are YOU today?

Trazzletoes Thu 22-Nov-12 22:43:16

PPS yes the NHS is incredible. It's things like this that make you realise what an asset it is.

I had no idea about community nurses either. I keep on calling the wrong people to do stuff! Someone really ought to make a flow chart to hand out at diagnosis grin. Anyway the nurses have shown me how to change the dressing ostensibly because they don't want to be called out to do it again so I get that dubious pleasure next time!

bobkate Thu 22-Nov-12 23:58:44

Hey Trazzles.. fingers crossed that it was just a very fleeting cold and it's decided to bugger off quick grin.
I bet the lads at the station put on a great show for Joe ( my DH is one and I know they go all out when they have very special visitors! )
Poor Joe - he must be so frustrated to lash out at you sad but he knows you'll take it I guess.
I'm well jell of your dins by the way. Soup and toast for me..dh is on nights so I can never be bothered when it's just me.
Oh and I'm fine thanks grin

fraktion Fri 23-Nov-12 00:07:27

Today DS (19mo) has discover that he can ask questions AND answer them for me.

Baa baa black sheep twinkle twinkle? Yes.
Strawberries? Okay.
Daddy home? Okay.
Bath? Yes.

strictlycaballine Fri 23-Nov-12 11:35:59

Just checking in to send a quick wing flap and wish you well.

Hope that your cold is clearing up and that you can get some clearer instructions on how all the services work together.

Lots of love to you and mini-fireman Joe!

ToffeeWhirl Sat 24-Nov-12 12:53:40

Also just checking in from the Flying thread. I hope your cold is better and that you are having a good weekend.

KnottyLocks Sat 24-Nov-12 14:15:12

Splodging in smile

dikkertjedap Sat 24-Nov-12 19:45:24

Lovely that Joe had such a great time at the fire station!

Hope your cold is gone/going and that you all have a good weekend!

Trazzletoes Sat 24-Nov-12 23:21:36

I think I'm just run down - got a killer headache and feel like I'm swallowing razor blades.

J is in for chemo number 6 tomorrow. He's been doing fine although his cough has got worse again - limiting sleep for the both of us sad.

I got an afternoon and evening off today though as an old friend has come up for our annual Christmas shopping weekend. I desperately needed some time away from the DCs!

J is doing ok in the main although he is still hitting me and no amount of discipline is getting through to him. I miss my little boy.

thewhistler Sat 24-Nov-12 23:46:20

Trazzle, of course things will be taking their toll of him and you.

Make sure you get enough vit c and water etc
Hope the rest of the weekend goes well, from a s London Splodge.

I haven't posted for a while but I am still following the thread and thinking of you, night night. x

Thumbwitch Sun 25-Nov-12 11:20:14

That's very rough on you, Trazzle - but I believe, from reading the thread about difficult teens, that he does that to you because he knows that you will still love him and he needs to vent his own feelings somehow. Still, bloody horrible for you. sad

Perhaps you can find him something else to vent on? Maybe a desk punchball?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now