Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tiny baby teething.

(2 Posts)
belindarose Mon 08-Oct-12 20:21:11

DS is 14 weeks tomorrow and has just sprouted two teeth. I feel awful for not realising the cause of his unsettledness last week. He had difficulty feeding (resulting in mastitis for me) and has only been able to sleep on me.

He seems so little to get teeth. DD's were early, but not this early and she was never bothered by teething pain. I know they're allowed calpol at this age. Is there anything else that might help him?

You are not alone, it seems an awful lot of people are surprised by how early babies can sprout teeth! DS has been complaining for a month now but there's still not much sign of anything coming through, so I think it is going to be a long drawn out process here confused

Many people swear by teething powders - they are homeopathic (which might make you wonder how on earth they work on babies, but apparently they do on some!) and based on chamomile, so you can use them as often as needed. Ashton and Parsons are generally considered the best, then Nelsons Teetha granules, and boots do an own brand too (not sure about other places).

Or you can try one of the teething gels. We use dentinox which has worked very well for DS (except when he is in an awful lot of pain, which means calpol). Dentinox you can give from birth and apply every 20 mins. The bonjela one and the calpol one I think you can't give that often, but I'm not sure - have a look at the packets.

And of course you can give him something to chomp on - teething rings/toys, a damp flannel cooled in the fridge, your finger grin

Hope his feeding starts to settle smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now