Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox and a newborn

(9 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Sun 07-Oct-12 15:05:30

Ds1 was born with chicken pox. He was very, very ill with it. In SCBU for a week, had to be resuscitated twice.

I had had it as a child too.

I would err on the side if caution.

LadyCurd Sun 07-Oct-12 15:02:43

My 2yo got chicken pox when my baby was 11weeks. Toddler was covered but not too badly afflicted, baby was fine never go it. Also breastfed.

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 07-Oct-12 14:59:48

I would contact your gp as chicken pox can be dangerous in newborns. Breastfeeding may not stop your lo catching it.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chickenpox/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx

My ds had CP at 5½ months (was not breastfed) and had childhood shingles at age 3.

cravingcake Sun 07-Oct-12 09:06:11

I have 2 friends who both have toddlers & newborns who got chicken pox. One newborn was ok, just got the pox and poor mum had a rough couple of weeks. The other got the pox but also developed pnemonia and had a couple of days in hospital. So just be aware that it can happen (both were breastfed too).

schilke Thu 04-Oct-12 19:26:20

Dc2 & 3 got chickenpox when dc4 was a week old. Dc4 got about 5 spots on her face - one was huge! That was it. I was bf her. HV said was possible she would get chickenpox again as she hadn't really had it properly.

Crossandratty Thu 04-Oct-12 16:43:04

Thank you xxx am panicking!

xxxresixxx Thu 04-Oct-12 16:41:52

You will have passed on immunity prior to birth (if you have had them) and will also pass on immunity in your milk. It is unusual for a child under one to get chicken pox. If they do then it's usually a very mild version. This is what the Dr told me when my DS was exposed to chicken pox aged 3

Crossandratty Thu 04-Oct-12 16:38:41

Bump - please, does anyone know??

Crossandratty Thu 04-Oct-12 15:50:30

Im concerned my son may have chicken pox - he's nearly 3. I also have a two week old baby - is she at risk? I'm breastfeeding so will this protect her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now