Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please hold my hand - cancer.

(987 Posts)
Trazzletoes Tue 02-Oct-12 10:31:11

Currently in hospital since last night with DS who is 3. Scans show masses on his brain. Drs believe them to be tumours, likely to have come from his abdomen.

Waiting for more scans/tests etc. staff are being overly nice to us which is worrying me more (though they did refer us to social services last night as they thought DH or I had fractured DS' skull.

Feel incredibly sick. He is 3 years old. Please hold my hand.

Trazzletoes Wed 10-Oct-12 10:45:03

Thank you all, and thanks so much for the positive stories. I got excited yesterday evening because we hadn't been to the hospital all day... Until DS' itching woke him up and it transpired he had scratched himself to the point of bleeding. Called the ward... Off we popped. Medicine administered and we came home.

Back at hospital today (albeit veeeeery tired) for DS to have a GA and CT scan this afternoon. At least he got to have breakfast this morning. 2 slices of toast seems like such an achievement right now!

DH is back at work today but DM is with me at the hospital. I'll try and reply to the PMs later.

It's good to know you are all still here with me.

ShiftyFades Wed 10-Oct-12 11:03:50

We will be here all the way, without fail.
Has the anti-itching medicine worked?
Hope the scan goes well x

dikkertjedap Wed 10-Oct-12 11:23:42

Good to know that your DM is with you and DS today. Can he go home later today or does he have to stay for the second round of chemo?

Can he have a combination of Piriton and Eurax cream or lotion for the itching? Not sure if it will interact with his other medication?

Hope the scan goes well.
x

Trazzletoes Wed 10-Oct-12 11:53:33

Still itchy, just not AS itchy. Which is something. All being well, we will be home tonight. 2nd round of chemo is some time next week.

Fivemoreminutesmummy Wed 10-Oct-12 12:45:29

Didn't want to read your story and not acknowledge it. Sending you a hand to hold and light from Manchester- I'll be thinking of you and your DS. Good luck today xxx

ShiftyFades Wed 10-Oct-12 12:59:26

Hope he gets some relief and is able to rest (along with the rest of you).
((hug))

Supergiggle Wed 10-Oct-12 13:16:21

Splodge lit up in Australia for you - sending love and best wishes to you and your beautiful little boy xxxxxxxxx

THERhubarb Wed 10-Oct-12 14:33:55

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. Still thinking of you and admiring how you can cope day to day in this situation. I know you say that you just have to and I guess that's right, but still, you are doing remarkably well and I'm sure that having a sense of normality around will be keeping your ds focused and calm.

We're all praying for a good outcome. At least now that treatment has started, his body is getting the help it needs to fight back.

strictlycaballine Wed 10-Oct-12 15:12:02

Just wanted to catch up Trazzle and see how things were progressing ...

It must be exhausting having so many appts/procedures to trek back and forth for - but great your dm is with you. Hope the itching has eased a bit and hope your ds can be with you at home tonight.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers as ever!!

x

Trazzletoes Wed 10-Oct-12 15:20:18

sc we are lucky. It's 20 minutes by car from us to the hospital. Some people here have a 2 hour journey each way! I can't imagine having to deal with that!

strictlycaballine Wed 10-Oct-12 15:51:50

Well that's certainly good news Trazzles ! Must be tough for those living further away. Hope you get to make the 20 min journey home tonight smile

Constant positive vibes winging their way across the channel to you and yours x

radiohelen Wed 10-Oct-12 16:47:09

Just found the thread. Lighting up in Leicestershire for you. Hope little man is less itchy and you have had some headspace.
Brightest blessings on you all.

dikkertjedap Wed 10-Oct-12 18:58:44

Hope your DS is back home now and that you all have a quiet time the rest of the week.

Does your DS feel well enough to go out and about or is he very tired/ill?

I hope you can do some nice activities/board games/crafty things/playing together/generally enjoying each other's company this week whilst he is at home.

x

BuffyFairy Wed 10-Oct-12 19:09:10

Hi Trazzle,

How did the scan go today? Hope ds gets to go home tonight.

How are you feeling? All the rounds of hospital appointments and being strong must be physically and emotionally exhausting. Yes, you have no choice, but like others I think you're amazing.

Forgive me if I'm talking rubbish. Would a both with oats in muslin tied under a running tap help ease the itching? I hope it's lessened for him and he gets a good nights sleep.

Lots of light for you here and live and hope as always x

123caughtaflea Wed 10-Oct-12 22:14:54

A candle shines brightly for you on this dark night.

Hope today has gone well and that you all sleep well.

www.gratefulness.org/candles (group = TT)

MrsMoosickle Wed 10-Oct-12 22:21:25

Hi Trazzle,

Hope today was ok and that your baby boy is a little more settled.

Thinking of you all

Mrs Moo

Trazzletoes Wed 10-Oct-12 22:28:48

Ooh good plan Buffy.love you too, sweetie.

He's been ok today, still itching a fair bit but GA went fine. He's getting better at taking his meds and being poked and prodded. He's on iodine at the moment and it is completely rank. You'd think I was asking him to eat slugs tho. He started an epic screaming fit tonight when I finally got him to take it. He has been a little gorgeous darling the rest of the day though.

Thanks again for your lights and support. I can't express how much it means to me.

Claire2009 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:32:26

Hi Trazzle, I have been reading from the start and just wanted to say I will be thinking of your ds for the next while. Big hugs x

ShiftyFades Wed 10-Oct-12 22:53:54

I'm glad it went well, when will you get the results (or was it to confirm sizes & locations?), forgive my ignorance blush

I'm glad he's starting to accept all the meds. Iodine is not nice, can he have a treat after taking it? That might spur him on.

How old is DS? I ask as mine is 3 but will be 4 in Nov so I know there's a big difference between 3.1 and 3.11, my DS is much more understanding of conversations now than, say, 10 months ago.

Sending you light, love and hugs. ((hug))

ToffeeWhirl Wed 10-Oct-12 23:20:35

Light and positive thoughts here in Sussex for you, Trazzle. Hope you all get a good night's sleep.

Wishing you all a good night.
x

foofooyeah Thu 11-Oct-12 00:01:17

Trazzle, Have only just found this .... what a terrible time for all of you.
Its just bloody awful.

Sending every positive thought through to you, and a light in deepest darkest Berkshire for you.

and a huge unmumsnetty (hug)

Trazzletoes Thu 11-Oct-12 07:20:24

Shifty he turned 3 last month. He doesn't have a blinking clue whats going on.

Scan was just to see if/where are any more tumours. Results are pretty instantaneous I think so I guess we should get told today when we are back on the ward?

saffronwblue Thu 11-Oct-12 07:37:47

Good luck for today Trazzle.Holding your family in my thoughts.

barefootcook Thu 11-Oct-12 07:44:36

Hi Trazzletoes

I would love to see a photo of your wee man. Could someone please tell me how to access the profile page? Sorry,I'm a bit hopeless. My thoughts are with you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now