Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please hold my hand - cancer.

(987 Posts)
Trazzletoes Tue 02-Oct-12 10:31:11

Currently in hospital since last night with DS who is 3. Scans show masses on his brain. Drs believe them to be tumours, likely to have come from his abdomen.

Waiting for more scans/tests etc. staff are being overly nice to us which is worrying me more (though they did refer us to social services last night as they thought DH or I had fractured DS' skull.

Feel incredibly sick. He is 3 years old. Please hold my hand.

gordonpym Tue 09-Oct-12 13:22:22

Trazzle, I've been following this conversation since its beginning and thinking a lot about you and your family. My best friend's DD was diagnosed with Leukemia 7 years ago, when she was 3. She had not one, but two chromosomes anomalies, so they said her chances were very very low, less than 5%. More than once, doctors told my friend "she will die tonight" and then every time she was there in the morning. One young doctor even said to my friend " I don't understand, she should be dead" can you believe that.
Today she is a beautiful, gorgeous girl, with long, thick and silky hair, very much alive - even too much alive some days!! So this is just to say numbers, statistics, rates are just that: numbers for the lambda patient, not for your son. You start at 100%. It will be very hard, fine, but you are a tough woman, and when you don't feel so tough, just pop here to reload your batteries.
I used to write her 3 or 4 letters /week, sending stories made with stickers or pictures about my every day life and talking about the future, holidays and what would happen "next", after the illness. I even sent her 2 pounds of sand, because she was missing the sea and the beach. And her mother put it in a jar, next to her bed.
A big hug

windywendyisorangeandproud Tue 09-Oct-12 13:35:05

Hi Trazzle

I'm so sorry to read your news and learn that you too have had to join this horrible little club that no parent ever wants to be a part of. My son was diagnosed with leukaemia in January at the age of 3 and reading your posts brought it all back. You've already had excellent advice but I wanted to share with you something that one of the nurses told me early on. Try not to get bogged down by all of the statistics as it will drive you mad. They are not definitive and only properly relevant if you have 100 children who are absolutely identical in all ways - gender, age at diagnosis, genetics, general health, everything. The only one that matters is your boy, so close yourself off to the other things that other patients have been through or you will end up terrifying yourself about things that may never happen.

I wish you and your family all the best x

blizy Tue 09-Oct-12 15:35:45

Trazzle- job have no words of wisdom, just want to let you know I am still thinking about your precious boy.

blizy Tue 09-Oct-12 15:40:45

blush sorry for the typo, I not job!

Trazzletoes Tue 09-Oct-12 16:02:56

Norks <gasps> DS LOVES it! As do I. It's properly adorable. And the snail... Fab! That even brought a smile to DH's face - something that has been missing for too long already. You are so clever.

buffy thanks too. I'll pass them on over the next few days while we are whiling away the hours in the hospital grin.

Apologies for not replying to many PMs, I will get to them.

trazzle we had to go up to hospital today for our DD, while we were there I spent my time thinking of you and your bonny boy. I'm sending you hope, because there have been times thats the only thing we had left and you can never had to much of it x

Trazzles Morrisons is great for ready meals. I've seen loads of people reheating homemade in there!!

ShiftyFades Tue 09-Oct-12 19:12:16

Hi Trazzle how's your day been? I hope DS is less itchy now.
You are so strong, because you have to be, but you are amazing none the less grin
I hope today has been a good one for you all and that you are getting plenty of help and rest.
Big light shining from south Hampshire for you all x

AvonCallingBarksdale Tue 09-Oct-12 19:17:20

ANother one thinking of you and your family. My friend's DS was diagnosed with neuroblastoma just over 2 years ago. It's a bastard of a disease. He is a wonderful little boy and many times my friend has said she is strong because she just has to be. I hope your DS is less itchy and more comfortable now. Best wishes to all of you.

Junebugjr Tue 09-Oct-12 19:33:53

Hi trazzle, I couldn't read and run. So sorry to hear your sad news.

My brother had this when he was 5. Constant stomach pains, no appetite, and went down to 3st before he was even diagnosed, due to shit GP saying he was just a fussy eater. I won't lie and say it wasn't a tough few years, but as a family we got through it. At one point it looked very bleak, so be prepared for some dark days. Also it can be quite shocking visually when they are fully into the treatment and look very frail and ill. There was some set backs and awful months, but my brother is now 17 and fine, and the experience seems far far away now, even though it was all consuming at the time.
Am wishing you and your family the very best xx

bonnieslilsister Tue 09-Oct-12 20:26:00

That is lovely to hear June and hopefully trazzle will be heartened to hear about your db smile

123caughtaflea Tue 09-Oct-12 21:16:02

Tonight's candle is burning.

Sending you light and strength, (group = TT)

bushymcbush Tue 09-Oct-12 21:44:36

Wishing you, your beautiful DS and your whole family lots of strength, love, laughter and healing in the coming months and years.

I am in West Yorkshire if you need anything.

ernestbear Tue 09-Oct-12 21:55:41

Hi Trazzle, my wee boy is the same age, have been thinking of you often since seeing this thread. Sending you hope and warmth from Somerset

Malvern light shining bright
Lots of love thanks

KnottyLocks Tue 09-Oct-12 22:39:00

Sending love to you and a shiny splodge from the South xxx

lisad123 Tue 09-Oct-12 22:47:42

Checking and saying little prayer for you all. I would def start a blog, it saves you repeating everything and is a great way of saying what you need to without saying it aloud to anyone.
I have pm'ed you too, just reply when your ready x

Lit a virtual candle thanks to 123.
Hope you & yours have had a peaceful day. x

saffronwblue Tue 09-Oct-12 23:05:23

Light on in Melbourne. Thinking of all the Trazzles.

Just popping by to say goodnight to you and your family, thinking of you again tonight.

barefootcook Wed 10-Oct-12 04:45:28

Another hand here. I hope it all works out well for your little man.

ShiftyFades Wed 10-Oct-12 08:47:16

Good morning, how are you all today? Did you sleep well?
Thanking of you x

Cee3008 Wed 10-Oct-12 08:58:39

Thinking of you Trazzle, your family and of course you darling boy xx

ToffeeWhirl Wed 10-Oct-12 10:02:39

So lovely to hear all the positive stories on here. Gordon - what a wonderful thing to do to send your friend's ill DD some sand because she was missing the beach smile.

Trazzle - how are you today?

mintymellons Wed 10-Oct-12 10:10:03

Only just found this thread, but wanted to offer my support. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now