Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Severe chickenpox pitted scars on sons face - looking for support

(51 Posts)
fake68 Mon 06-Aug-12 13:10:12

Hello, my ds got chickenpox 7 weeks ago and he has been left severely scarred on his face he is 11 and there are deep pitted scars about 25 of them on his forehead, cheeks and chin. They are still very red at the moment and know that the redness will fade but can anyone tell me it the pitted scars will get any better over time his face looks really terrible and when he is outside the light shows up all the holes in his face.

We were abroad when he contracted the chickenpox and they were like boils on his face and all over his body, the body ones have about gone now but his face was so lovely before this happened - please reply

twonker Fri 10-Aug-12 22:25:06
fake68 Sat 11-Aug-12 12:04:17

twonker - thanks for the link I have found a qualified practitioner very near me so i'm going to give her a call on Monday as well as going to a dermatologist as soon as i can.

interested1- thank you for the follow up on your dd's appointment with dermatologist, i'm glad for you that you have beeen told that your dd's scars would improve dramatically, did they give you any advice on best brand of vitamin c cream, oil, or serum? -shelley72- mentioned rosehip oil which is a good source of vit c, we give ours multi vit's daily already.

WhereMyMilk Sat 11-Aug-12 12:16:29

Anything with silicon in is the best thing for scars. You can get it on prescription. Ask for Silgel. It is a clear gel so ideal for facial scarring.

Good luck. My 3yr old is in the middle of the pox sad. Has some terrible ones on his lovely face but hoping they will fade with time.

My 6yr old had it when he was 8months and still does have scars, though much less visible now and I have to really look for them now if that helps.

Piemistress Sun 12-Aug-12 07:22:36

I had read somewhere that vitamin E oil is supposed to help with scarring? You can get it from.superdrug for about £3.

Bonsoir Sun 12-Aug-12 07:31:01

I have two pitted scars on my face from chickenpox (when I was 7), one between my eyebrows and one on the side of my nose. They really don't bother me (and I am fairly vain!) as they have faded completely to match my skin tone.

Having said that, I insisted that my DD, who has the same very fine skin as me, was vaccinated against chickenpox. I don't know why the vaccination isn't more widely advertised as it is very easy to administer (in two goes) and prevents what is often a very nasty childhood disease with long-lasting scars.

milkjetmum Sun 12-Aug-12 07:54:52

Hi - I don't have any experience with chicken pox scars in particular, but about 5 years ago I was hit by a car and left with a deep scar on my leg - my keys gouged into leg and left my skin looking like someone had stuck a big fork in it (ouch!).

I used scar healing strips (can buy in boots for about £10) and that really helped to level it all off for me. They are a silicone-like adhesive that you cut to size (comes in postcard size sheet).

I worn these at night for a few months (you keep re-using it until it loses it stickiness) and think it would be great for kids - no creams etc involved, not too 'sticky' so no discomfort on pulling off. HTH

TitWillow Sun 12-Aug-12 13:51:37

DD had it about a year ago, and has white, almost pigment free spots on her body, where the poxes were, and some craters on the face, the worst being nearly a centimetre across, above the bridge of her nose. The redness has completely faded but they are, to me, quite obvious.
DS on the other hand has only one scar, a white mark on his lip. I think the difference is that DD has eczema, and dry skin, and maybe her skin is less able to heal cleanly?

I was quite worried about DD's scars, but DM pointed out that nearly everyone has had chicken pox, but you almost never look at an adult and think, "gosh, look at those chicken pox scars," so presumable by the time we are adults they have mostly faded or stretched to the point where they are not noticeable to others? I'm hoping so!

EightiesOlympicGolds Sun 12-Aug-12 14:08:10

I would look into getting silicone gel, as others have said. My pharmacist told me this is what plastic surgeons use to minimise starring and particularly to even out bumpy scars. My son came through chicken pox ok but had a nasty fall which scarred his face. I know exactly how terrible you feel for them but they are still gorgeous.
I will check my brand of silicon gel later as think it is different to the others mentioned so far. Was told you can but it though it's about £30, but we asked for it to be prescribed and doctors agreed. It has really helped in just a few months.

Hartey40 Mon 13-Aug-12 19:53:05

Hi Fake68,

I'm sorry you are still looking for support for your sons scars, you know where I am if you need more. Can I just say we went to both a dermatologist(private - one of the best in our area) and there is absolutely no magic potions for pitted scars I'm afraid, we also went to see a plastic surgeon (privately) and got exactly the same response, we wasted a lot of money.

The red will definitely go, it took 6 months for dd's to go, some

Hartey40 Mon 13-Aug-12 19:56:18

Sorry posted too early. Some of the pits may fill in over time some will remain but will fade and soften over time, but may still be noticeable in a certain light.

It will take up to 12-18 months for the scars to fully mature and I can assure you they will improve a lot.

I wish you and your son the v v best.

Xxxx

fake68 Mon 13-Aug-12 20:57:48

Hi Hartey40

Thank you for posting and your continued support, I think I have always known that I will just have to let nature take its course and let the scars mature, (but the waiting game is hard), I am just keeping his face well moisturised and always use sunblock as you advised.

Someone had suggested to my dh that he took a photo of ds's face every week in the same light and that would show any improvement as when you see him everyday you don't see the change. I had no idea he had done this but today he showed me them and yes over the last few week there is a difference in the colour and texture of his skin, we showed ds them and even he see the difference ( he told me that some of his friends have said that he looks alot better over the last few weeks) which has made him feel alot better about going back to school.

Hartey40 Mon 13-Aug-12 21:10:43

Hi Fake68, yes we took a lot of photos too and it really does help especially as time goes on, I am at the stage now whereby I can look at both pre-pox and post-pox photos which shows how much they have improved and me also as I used to get really upset.

Your son sounds like he has some good friends and that will help his confidence and self-esteem. I wish I had talked to my dd more about her scars as i know her friends say things to her sometimes and she still draws pictures of princesses covered in the pox, it might help him talking about it.

Keep in touch x

fake68 Wed 15-Aug-12 12:25:04

Hi Hartey40

I'm glad things are better for you and being able to look at old photo's without getting upset it's what I hope for myself in the future, I know that time will come but the waiting is hard as you know.

Will keep in touch xx

EustaciaVye Sun 19-Aug-12 21:29:23

My dd had chicken pox age 3. She has some deep pitted scrs but they are small. Two years on they are the same colour as her normal skin.

I had chicken pox at 26 and ten years on still see the scars. They are only noticible to other people if they are doing my hair ! or when i have been in the sun they go pinker than the rest of my face.

well done to your dh. you cant beat facts to give perspective :-)

EllieKo Sun 13-Jan-13 17:40:04

Try not too worry. The best thing for chicken pox is Bio Oil. I've had it three times and it really works. My children have it at the moment and I'm using it on my daughter. It is already making a difference.

dfghj Thu 06-Jun-13 21:35:30

Hi there, I appreciate this thread is from almost a year ago, but I'd love to hear how you are getting on ref chicken pox scars. My DD who is 4 got a very severe dose 4 weeks ago, necessitating antivirals and a hasty early return from holidays, and has been left covered in livid red marks where each scabbed spot was. Her face is particularly bad and some people in shops etc have stopped to ask what happened to her (I know, mad!).

At the moment I can already tell some will be pitted, but its the redness that's driving me crazy. I think the pitted ones can wait to be worried about in the future LOL. She is starting school in August and has also recently been made to wear an eye patch 6 hours per day but the poor love just keeps rolling along happy as Larry. Bless.

I'd love to get a perspective from someone a year down the line after a bad dose. I hate CP!

justabigdisco Thu 06-Jun-13 22:54:02

My DD had them at 6 months and had a few nasty scars on her beautiful face. I have been really upset about it. We have been using bio-oil daily. I have to admit, a year down the line, they are looking better and I'm hoping they will continue to improve. Of course we'll never know if it was the bio-oil or not!!

justabigdisco Thu 06-Jun-13 22:55:14

Oh and looking back at photos, the redness probably lasted 3/4 months. In a way I think the earlier they get them the better as skin is so young and presumably heals better than an older person??

tazmo Fri 07-Jun-13 21:50:35

Not sure - tried bio oil? My dd has a few on her face but she's 3 so not self conscious. Hope she'll lose it a bit loil

dfghj Tue 11-Jun-13 19:54:07

Bump bump - anyone else, pleae? Xx

Alexanderwar Tue 11-Jun-13 21:21:29

My DD had a really bad bout of cp over 3 months ago now. We were abroad at the time and she was literally covered in hundreds of very red spots and a month later, whilst they had slightly faded, most were still very red and visible and she looked like she still had the virus. I was pretty upset and thought she would have the marks forever. I remember taking her to my GP who was no help and just looked shocked at how bad they were and commented that the ones on her back and torso were very deep so would probably stay. I then took her to a leading dermatologist who felt that most would fade over time despite how horrendous they now looked and that I would need to give it a year. 3 months on I can honestly say that they are tons better. She still has quite a lot of red marks but they have faded loads and the deep ones on her back and torso are no longer really pitted so they can fill in a bit. I am sure she will be left with a few scars but it has shown that time is a great healer. Btw - I was told bio oil etc was a waste of money and to just keep her body and face moisturised. Also ensure you use sunscreen on the scars as the sun can cause them to scar more.

Selba Tue 11-Jun-13 21:59:30

i agree bio oil is an utter waste of money . I am appalled they are allowed to market it the way they do

Snazzywaitingforsummer Tue 11-Jun-13 22:06:55

You can get Kelocote gel prescribed to help smooth out scarred areas - worth asking about. It can also be bought over the counter but is expensive. Try asking your GP for a prescription. Also using high factor sunscreen is very important.

newbiebaby Tue 18-Jun-13 11:28:33

Just wondering if anyone has had any improvements since posting. ..anxiously looking for positive stories

justabigdisco Tue 18-Jun-13 21:45:23

A few people have posted positive stories! I've just been looking back at photos over the last year (my 18m DD had the CP a year ago) and the scars really are lots lots better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now