Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone's DC on montelukast?

(37 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Sun 15-Jul-12 15:50:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lozario Thu 03-Jan-13 00:09:04

We're pleased with it; DS (3.6) suffers with recurring viral wheezing and so we're told to give it to him whenever he starts a wheezy cough (usually towards the end of a cold) as previously it always became traumatic croup. I'm glad as he was taking prednisolone for the croup all the time which was worrying me. No side effects to report so far - he has had Montelukast a couple of times over the winter.

tiffinbaker Thu 03-Jan-13 09:50:43

weblette I notice you said "an hour after food" and just wondered - our packet says one hour before or two hours after food, which we find a right pain sometimes because on nursery days DS doesn't usually finish supper till after six so we either have to hurry him up and make him eat quickly (or take away the food before he is finished) or keep him up later than normal - encouraging meltdown - or give him the pill before 2 hours is up - making us feel guilty for not obeying instructions. If it can actually be given only 1 hour after food then that would save us many nightmares! I wonder if yours is a different brand/dosage to ours to make the instructions different?

weblette Thu 03-Jan-13 10:33:10

Ds's consultant told us to do it like that.

cedmonds Thu 03-Jan-13 12:03:09

Ds has been on it since a baby. When he changed from the granules to the tablets he got really bad nightmares. We were told by great Ormond street that it can be given in the morning. Which has helped ds.
It has made a big difference to him. We have a period of not being on it and his asthma and allergies were awfull

tiffinbaker Thu 03-Jan-13 16:34:14

thanks - I will talk to our GP and see if it will be OK for us to do the timing differently.

cedmonds Thu 03-Jan-13 18:18:29

tiffinbaker Great ormond street also said that it was better if even on an empty tummy but on occasions it is ok to be given on a full tummy..

Skiffen Thu 03-Jan-13 18:58:02

The only way we get it into dd2 is as part of her evening meal, drs know this and never been told it's a problem blush

cedmonds Thu 03-Jan-13 19:00:55

Does she have the tablet or the granules. The granules can be given at any time.

Skiffen Thu 03-Jan-13 19:05:26

Phew, it's the granules! Thank you for clarifying that.

brainonastick Fri 04-Jan-13 19:59:19

I just came on here to ask about montelukast! Dd2 has just been prescribed it for recurring viral wheeze, which I was a little confused about as we haven't even tried the beclamethasone yet (which has worked well for dd1). Very helpful thread, thank you.

I was also wondering about the timing of the meds, as dd2 is normally asleep by about 1hour after tea max. I would be interested to know when everyone else fis it in? The only time that is -1hr and +2 hrs from food is when she wakes up in the morning, but the packet also says take it in the evening confused.

Lozario Fri 04-Jan-13 21:03:18

I'm not sure why it says evening. We give it at around 10am - 2hrs after breakfast and a couple of hours before lunch. Reading about the nightmares issues on here maybe it's better that way!

I got the impression from GP it's a relatively new drug?

brainonastick Sat 05-Jan-13 13:25:43

Ok, we started it first thing this morning, so fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now