Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 Year Old Son's Head Drenched In Sweat While Sleeping

(23 Posts)
emlu67 Fri 11-May-12 19:41:08

For quite some time now I have noticed that after a couple of hours of sleep DS's head his soaking wet. It is as if someone has poured a jug of water over him and his pillow is drenched. It seems to just be from his hair (which is short), his face is fine and so is his body. He is fine and well in all other respects and this never happens during the day. It doesn't happen every night but probably every other.

Obviously I make sure that his room is not too warm and he sleeps in the coldest room in the house. Has anyone else had this problem and is it just a normal thing or should I mention to the Dr?

ChablisLover Fri 11-May-12 22:13:48

My ds also 5 suffers this at times.

Mainly when he has a cold or sometimes after a bath/ hair wash which negates washing hair in the first place

I have no idea what causes it either
So I'm no help but wanted to say you're not alone in wondering what it is

Catsmamma Fri 11-May-12 22:15:54

i often used to find mine like that...i just presumed they'd been stifling themselves under the covers and just come up for air.

Our house is quite chilly so I guess it's nice to get cosy and fall asleep.

ragged Fri 11-May-12 22:17:49

relevant reading?

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Fri 11-May-12 22:19:16

our boys have tide marks on their pillow cases.. they get very sweaty in the night but are totally healthy.

<wanders off to read link.. hoping it doesn't tell me they have some hideous problem!>

AberdeenAnxious Fri 11-May-12 22:20:50

Yep, my ds's pillow is also often saturated when I go check him. He never feels hot in himself, and it doesn't seem to affect his sleeping. I'm hoping it's nothing that needs further investigation.

escape Fri 11-May-12 22:22:34

Neither of my sons have this , BUT , and FWIW, my Brother was exactly the same as a child and he basically grew out of it, with 'nothing wrong' as it were.

Squeegle Fri 11-May-12 22:28:59

My son ( now 8) is also like this. Pillows encrusted with salt!!? Otherwise he seems fine though so I haven't worried about it I must admit...

DilysPrice Fri 11-May-12 22:31:55

Yes we have the pillow tide marks with DS too. Glad to know I'm not alone. Does anyone have a girl who does this?

ettiketti Fri 11-May-12 22:33:06

My now 7yo DS has been like this for about 4 years. Salt encrusted pillowcase etc. He's perfectly fine, just very sweaty!!

frankie4 Fri 11-May-12 22:34:13

My ds had this when he was about 7. It lasted for a year or two and then he just grew out of it. Has a nice dry cool head when asleep now!

Wingdingdong Fri 11-May-12 22:36:34

Yes, DD (2.9) has always soaked the pillow/mattress. Her hair is drenched. The house isn't that hot... and we always have bedroom windows open and the heating off at night, no matter what the weather. I'd never thought it might be a problem, not sure I want to read the link! My brother's DD, same age, is exactly the same, so I assumed it's normal.

Springforward Fri 11-May-12 22:38:08

3 yr old DS does this. That link is reassuring, pp!

MirandaWest Fri 11-May-12 22:38:11

DS gets like this sometimes. Have never thought to worry about it tbh.

Kbear Fri 11-May-12 22:38:25

My DS is ten and he's the same - when I check on him before I go to bed the pillow is often soaked. I assumed heat escapes through your head so it was natures way of cooling him down under the quilt. He has the coldest room in the house too but often kicks off the quilt.

When he plays football he always comes off the pitch with a bright red face and wet hair too - guess he's just a hot bod!

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 11-May-12 22:39:52

DS1 is just like this, but then again so is his dad. They just get very hot and would wear shorts the year round if I let them

PrisonerOfWaugh Fri 11-May-12 22:40:14

Yes my DD sleeps very hot, sweaty etc. She has a 4.5 tog duvet and even then she throws it off - even in winter!

TheDetective Fri 11-May-12 22:42:05

21 year old DP is like this too. His mum said he's always been the same!!! ARGHHHH!

emlu67 Sat 12-May-12 17:45:47

Thanks everyone it is really reassuring to know that it is a common thing. I had no idea it could last until adulthood though!

ilovehugs Sun 13-May-12 22:11:28

Both my kids do that! x x

Aceleste7 Tue 10-May-16 09:41:52

Hi there! Recently I have noticed my son also drenched in sweat after being asleep for a couple of hours, what I also notice, is that it doesn't last all night and is a head sweat, not the whole body....

Louiselashes Thu 16-Jun-16 21:14:39

That's exactly the same as my 5yr old son!

Lrandall1000 Thu 23-Jun-16 19:25:52

I have a daughter who sweats as she's falling asleep,she likes to have her hair stroked whilst falling to sleep and I can feel the heat coming off of her head bit no where else, I'm unsure as to why but she has done this from a very young age. She was also a very sweaty baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now