Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pretty sure my dd has whooping cough

(30 Posts)
reikizen Fri 20-Apr-12 17:52:08

although GP says no as she is 'not ill enough' despite the fact that whopping cough does not actually make you ill as such. Anyway, has anyone else's dcs had whooping cough and do you have any tips for relieving the awful symptoms. I realise that antibiotics are only effective at the start of the illness and she is about 4-5 weeks into it. (The paroxyms of coughing wnding in vomiting esp at night bit). Thanks

OrmIrian Thu 26-Apr-12 15:42:04

Ermm.... I had direct experience of it when I was 18m old. But it was the full-fat version as I didn't have any immunisations. I don't remember it but mum tells me it was horrendous. The old lady in the hotel in Ireland that were staying in gave me Jamiesons in warm milk and apparently that helped but I daresay it's not recommended...hmm

So sorry for your DD. Hope she's better soon.

bumbleymummy Thu 26-Apr-12 16:01:35

Studies in the US have shown that protection from the vaccine wanes after about 4 years. Some studies have actually suggested that even after 5 doses susceptibility to whooping cough starts to increase after just 1 year. There definitely needs to be more awareness about it.

Metabilis3 Thu 26-Apr-12 22:56:51

We had a call from the surgery earlier this evening. The whole family has now been put on vile industrial strength anti biotics. The rise in WC cases is clearly being regarded as a Thing, now.

reikizen Fri 27-Apr-12 09:28:57

I feel for you, we are on week 6 and dd is off school as she vomited at school yesterday following a coughing bout. It's so unpredictable though as sometimes she is absolutely fine and slept all night (after massive vomit at 10ish) without one coughing fit. I am beginning to wonder if some of it is habit now, and that she makes herself cough to the point of vomiting because she knows she feels better after that?

Emily271 Fri 07-Dec-12 19:09:47

Does anyone know why the GPs are so reluctant to diagnose it? I'm sure my LO had it (was having coughing fits ending with a whooping sound and vomiting after coughing so much) but doc didn't want to swab to check for it, although did prescribe antibiotics. Do you think if they diagnose 1 case they will be inundated with other worried parents or something, so therefore don't want a confirmed case? Can't figure it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now