Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Eczema, what do you use?

(33 Posts)
AutumnHues Sat 24-Sep-11 18:58:20

DD has it on her face again, she is 2 years old. I am trying Dermol on her as the GP has recommended it in the past.
Just wondered what other parents use?
Does anyone know what causes it?
I know it's to do with dry skin so am wondering if the wind has set it off.

Reallynotsureaboutthis Sat 06-Oct-12 22:23:50

We got moogoo samples today and I'm really impressed. DD has had a spell of really dry itchy patches on her face, rubbing her eyes a lot, and cracked lips. She's put the irritating skin balm on her face, followed by the soothing cream about 3 times throughout today and her face already looks much better. Epaderm has not been working at all while it's been this bad, but not bad enough to warrant the steroid cream, so I'm really pleased after only 1 day. Will keep using and see how the face and body wash work. The stuff is v expensive but if this works then I don't care how much - ill be ordering buckets of the stuff. grin

Ilovecake1 Mon 08-Oct-12 20:54:40

A good supplement of omega 3, organic porridge in tights and soak and wash with it in the bath, cotton comfort PJs- unable to scratch during the night, perfect to break the cycle and organic aloe Vera gel to moisture the skin, use 3-4 times daily. My daughter had horrendous eczema, used to reduce me to tears on a daily basis! sad she is now nearly eczema free, bearly visible and doesn't feel the need to scratch.

Haribolicious Tue 30-Oct-12 01:27:02

Just found this and excited to read about moo goo. I have contacted them....thank you ladies!

Manukamama Tue 30-Oct-12 14:22:22

Both my DCs (3 and 1) have eczema flare ups from time to time, i think its a seasonal thing. Ive been using Napier's infant starflower cream, its lovely and gentle with all natural ingredients. It soothes the itches and calms the angry red patches. When it gets real bad I rub the cream in to moisturise, then smear a thin layer of Napier's calendula and marshmallow salve over it. This locks the moisture in... the calendula helps to heal and soothe irritated skin, and marshmallow calms and moisturises aswell. Ive also been using this as a preventative for nappy rash. My poor wee DD gets all the skin problems! So happy ive found nice and natural products, without yucky preservatives like parabens or SLS or petroleum derived ingredients smile
www.napiers.net/organic-calendula-marshmallow-salve.html
www.napiers.net/infant-starflower-skin-cream.html

Im on a mission to purge my home of unnessesary chemicals, so i changed my washing powder too, im now using Faith in Nature's super concentrated laundry liquid. I love it, it doesnt have that awful lingering fake fresh stink that goes right up your nose. Ive been getting it online from ethical supermarket, they've got a good sale on at the mo.
www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/faith-in-nature/faith-in-nature-superconcentrated-laundry-liquid---5l/

I hope your little one isnt too upset by it. Hope you find something which works for you :-)

Manukamama Tue 30-Oct-12 14:33:52

If it is the wind causing it, maybe try applying a salve before going outside.

recall Tue 30-Oct-12 14:47:00

My son's eczema suddenly flared up recently and he had an infected weeping area about 3 inches x 3 inches. My friend is a paediatric nurse and recommended Fucidine 3 times a day, aveeno cream hourly, and two baths in aveeno oil a day, washing with dermal 500 emollient. It was pretty intensive, but it cleared it up very quickly, the area had almost completely disappeared by day 3. Now we maintain his skin with daily baths in aveeno oil, and aveeno cream following baths. I inspect his skin all over every day, and if a red patch appears, I apply a very small amount of hydrocortisone 1% .

Manukamama Tue 30-Oct-12 14:47:49

Hey ive got some samples of the infant starflower cream, i could send some to you if you'd like. Im new to mumsnet, is there a way of doing personal messages?

recall Tue 30-Oct-12 14:49:46

I actually set the alarm on my phone to go off every hour, and even creep in and apply it when he is asleep, and his nursery staff continue the regime when he is there, it does respond very quickly to the intense treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now