Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can we start a new asthma support thread now dreaded winter season is looming?

(988 Posts)
Knackeredmother Wed 21-Sep-11 09:26:41

Hi,
I can't seem to find the old support thread. I lurked on it during many long, lonely and frightening nights and admissions with ds over the past year and a half.
My ds is 21 months now, was hospitalized at 8 weeks severe bronchiolitis (really thought he would die) then every 3-4 weeks since whenever he gets a cold. No symptoms in between colds but a wet, crackly chest with some wheeze with every cold. Plus of course the dreaded tracheal tug and sternal recession that heralds an admission.
It is all so bloody draining and heartbreaking!
We are just starting with a new bout today after a whole 8 weeks of being well. I am debating whether to call in sick for my nightshift tonight or leave poor hubby with an inevitable hospital admission AND our 4 year old!
Anyway, would be good to hear from others going through similar so we can all support each other ( or direct me to the original support thread!)

Spoke to soon, last 10 puffs was 10am and temp up and sats down again.

alibobins Sun 25-Nov-12 12:03:05

Oh large cam u ring up the hospital and have a chat with the on-call paed sad

Thanks Ali, just coughed up loads and perked up a bit, can't ring the hospital, will have to go to out of hours which is based at the hospital anyway. DH out with the other dc's at church but will call when they get back.
Think it's more likely to be a chest infection than viral wheeze this time do hopefully will just get antibiotics, have some prednisalone in the cupboard but don't like giving it unless they've seen him.

Sirzy Sun 25-Nov-12 12:33:58

Hope you can get him sorted today large.

Ds is needing 3 puffs of ventolin every 3 hours at the moment so not too bad. He is playing between needing it though which is good

Thanks Sirzy hope your ds keeps going ok,
Have an appointment at 3 for dt2.
Of course the minute I got off the phone dt started running around, first time he's moved today, I think he's on a ventolin high though.

alibobins Sun 25-Nov-12 15:48:11

Large hope everything is okay.

Thanks sats at out of hours 93 no infection he thinks viral, given him brown inhalour 2 puffs twice a day and said continue with 10 puffs 4 hourly if needed but reduce down if not.

A bit concerned that sats that low after 10 puffs an hour earlier, but we shall see.

Sirzy Sun 25-Nov-12 16:08:32

Glad he is getting treatment although if he is only just starting on the brown inhaler it will be a couple of days before any difference from that is noticed.

DS seems happier this afyternoon

cedmonds Sun 25-Nov-12 18:13:11

Ds is plodding along ok he his still on 10 puffs four hourly. He is very tried and grumpy.
Hope ds stays well sirzy

Sirzy Sun 25-Nov-12 20:58:27

DS seemed okish this afternoon. We are in A and E in the morning for blood tests so will have a word with the nurse who does bloods who knows him well anyway!

Sirzy Mon 26-Nov-12 09:44:31

Ds had his blood test this morning. By the red mark and swelling where the plaster was I am wondering if he also has an allergy to plasters!

alibobins Mon 26-Nov-12 10:06:42

Sirzy how's ds cough hope it's not too sore under the plaster

Sirzy Mon 26-Nov-12 17:25:49

His cough seems better today thanks smile

How is everyone else?

lollipoppi Tue 27-Nov-12 08:48:19

Hi all, what a week!
DS was back in hospital at the weekend, we saw his consultant again yesterday and she is happy with his progress and the meds he is on so just a case of getting through the winter months
Hope everybody is ok x

Sirzy Tue 27-Nov-12 12:16:48

Hope he is better now Lolli x

cedmonds Tue 27-Nov-12 15:14:40

Hope he is better now lolli.
Alli how is ds2?
Ds went to school yesterday as GP said to send him in and because of EWO I had to to. He still looked very pale and needed ventolin every four hours. He didn't cope at all can home shattered and very tight. I be keeped him at home today as he couldn't get up the stairs without coughing / getting out of breath. He keeps saying that he is out of breath and just flops on the sofa. His stats are 96 and peak flow is slightly low but ok. Any ideas??

alibobins Tue 27-Nov-12 18:04:33

Ds2 is feeling slightly better spoke to the consultant today and he needs to be 100% well to go through the surgery which is hard as he is so ill all the time sad

Cedmonds I really haven't got any helpful advice could he do just half days until he is well?

cedmonds Tue 27-Nov-12 19:00:20

allii i am going to speak to the head tomorrow. He went to the gp tonight and they he said no school tomorrow.I spoke to GOSH as well and they said that when they are having lots of Ventolin it lowers there potassium levels so you need to give them lots of foods high in it!! I never knew that !! Ds had antibiotics all the time before they took his tonsils out as he was never going to be well enough to have it done.
Glad he is feeling a bit better tonsillitis is horrid.

alibobins Tue 27-Nov-12 19:56:48

I never knew that either.

Sirzy Tue 27-Nov-12 22:13:31

Hope you can find a way to make school work for him without making him poor Cedmonds x

cedmonds Thu 29-Nov-12 08:36:03

Ds is going back to school today so we will see how he goes. They won't let him do am only as they are saying it is to disruptive for the class. 😏they have got PE all afternoon today so he will be in with the younger ones. So wouldn't of made much difference.
How is everyone else?😏

cedmonds Thu 29-Nov-12 08:36:42

Oops where have those random numbers g
Come from

Sirzy Thu 29-Nov-12 08:44:13

How does him doing half days disrupt the rest of the class? That makes no sense. Can you get any advice from the LEA?

cedmonds not sure if you remember my battle with DD1? If you need any advice, PM me as we've come out the other side now... And after the incident earlier in the year, if she as much sneezes, they call me... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now