Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Suddenly enlarged testicle in 7 year old

(19 Posts)
joshandjamie Wed 15-Jun-11 18:57:50

Hi

I was just getting my kids in the bath and noticed that my 7 year old son's testicles looked odd. On closer inspection, one of them is hugely enlarged - like about 5 times the normal size. You can see and feel one testicle that is normal but you can't feel or see the other testicle - it's just a big swollen lump. It's not red. He says it doesn't hurt. He is peeing normally. He doesn't recall getting hit or kicked in that particular spot.

Is this something to be urgently worried about? If it's like this in the morning I will take him to the doctor, but should I be doing anything more urgent? I tried calling NHS direct and the message said they were super busy and were only dealing with urgent cases. Not sure this qualifies. But don't want to just ignore it either. He says he doesn't remember if it was like this earlier.

I dont think it was like this yesterday. Help!

I suggest you keep trying NHS direct for advice.
DS has had this problem intermittantly since about age 8yo & it means nothing for him (he has been checked out). But in some cases it can be serious, they will probably want to examine him soon if not today (5x too swollen is very swollen).

Most of the very serious things it could be would hurt an awful lot, so I doubt it's that urgent (others will tell you different, I suspect). Odds are that he thumped it and didn't notice because he was having fun.

hope that's some help

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 15-Jun-11 19:02:51

Ring out of hours maybe?

clayre Wed 15-Jun-11 19:04:01

A&e now!

I know someone that had similar, and they had emergency surgery that night for a twisted/tangled testicles or something.

It definitely can be innocuous but definitely needs checking ASAP I think.

joshandjamie Wed 15-Jun-11 19:06:50

ok - am on hold with NHS Direct right now.

Madlizzy Wed 15-Jun-11 19:08:28

I'd get it checked out.

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 15-Jun-11 19:22:00

Fingers crossed it's nothing to worry about, but think you're right to make sure.

pinkytheshrinky Wed 15-Jun-11 19:25:59

I would take him to a and e

wonkylegs Wed 15-Jun-11 19:43:22

Don't worry my 3 yr old has something similar at moment and it's most probably a hydrocele (you can do a test for this which ur son may find either cool or gross ....shine a torch up against the swollen testicle if it glows it is probably a hydrocele - fluid filled sack, not an emergency but get GP to check out)
Checked with DH(dr) and he says pain is warning sign of anything more serious , testicular torsion is excruciating and you'd have already rushed him off to a&e if that was the case
Pain free wait and see GP, will probably just watch & monitor it til it goes down
DS has a referral to paediatric surgery as his is interfering with weeingblush

Any news? Out of hours GP is good idea.

joshandjamie Wed 15-Jun-11 21:08:52

hi all

Thanks for your advice. Spoke to NHS Direct. Because there is no pain, redness or any other symptoms, we agreed that it could wait till morning to see the GP. But I will check him again later this evening and see how it's looking. Wonkylegs - I tried the torch trick but couldn't really see any glowing - just not sure I was looking for the right thing.

It looks like a swelling above his testicle in the scrotum sack - so perhaps it is a fluid filled sack.

He really was rights as rain except for this large bulge. Very odd. Will report back tomorrow if it has worsened or if the doc has anything to say

wonkylegs Wed 15-Jun-11 21:47:22

I'm sure it's fine, it is kind of difficult to see the torch thing sometimes -sons had his for wks now (my handy house dr DH was on hand to show me....but usefully said "I only know how to diagnose then not what you do with them, I do hearts !)
Best thing I've learnt from him is to go with your gut.... If he'd been screaming in pain / deathly pale / unconscious you wouldn't have hesitated to rush him straight in, otherwise ask ask ask until you have an answer you are happy with
Let us know how you get on smile, hope he's ok ....my DS has just spent weeks telling everybody he's going to hospital because he has "too big a winky" blush

joshandjamie Thu 16-Jun-11 11:55:30

update on this: took my son to the doc. He has a hernia which he needs to have operated on. Not urgent but to be fixed. So very pleased I took him in. Thanks for all the advice.

wonkylegs Thu 16-Jun-11 16:28:38

Glad you know now what it is, hope it's not too horrible to get sorted. I always panic a bit with boys bits as I'm never quite sure what's normal for little boysblush
I'm guessing your DS is a little old for bribery to be brave with a new Cars character (is making my son actually excited about seeing the surgeon) but I'm sure a bit of tlc and suitable treating will mean that you'll be more worried than he is by the time it's over wink
Good luck and hope he's sorted soon

joshandjamie Thu 16-Jun-11 20:45:25

Thanks wonky legs. I'm sure there'll be treats in the offing. smile

clayre Thu 16-Jun-11 20:56:11

Aww good to know its nothing serious, my ds lost a testicle as a baby and now we have to be very overly cautious with anything testice related.

Madlizzy Fri 17-Jun-11 12:03:41

One of my boys had this at 3 months old. He didn't have much pain at all after the op and what pain he did have was dealt with via paracetamol.

joshandjamie Fri 17-Jun-11 12:12:48

good to know madlizzy. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now