Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Unbelievable! Sudocrem and attitude!

(92 Posts)
woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 14:33:58

Hi all,

I've been a member of mumsnet for just a short while, and generally I don't feel the need to speak out, preferring to read. Most of my questions have been asked before so I always find excellent advice from the Mums in here just by looking through threads

This, though, I have to share!

My daughter (mow 11 months) discovered she could get the lid of the sudocrem a couple of months ago. She also decided to dip her hand in and take a nice big mouthful of the stuff before we could grab her. Sudocrem everwhere and a good amount noshed off. We would have taken this as a one-off incident but she did it again. Both times we piled up to the doctor and both times, yes she had side effects.

She will try to grab whatever nappy rash cream we have to hand. Luckily for us, it's only the sudocrem she can get the lid off, and it's only the sudocrem she seems to favour wanting to eat. Less luckily for us, we like the sudocrem best!

So, we scooped the sudocrem into a jamjar with a good screw on lid, and I decided to contact Sudocrem to tell them what happened and point out that their pot design is a bit rubbish for our child (who I would take as a pretty average baby/toddler).

Their reply was basically to keep the pot away from her (doh! yes I think as a mum I know that one, but we all know nappy change time!). But more to the point, my daughter was then sujected to a lab-rat set of questions with very shallow apology but plenty of interest in side effects.

I was pretty disgusted and decided just not to reply to their email but today I got a second one from the same lab person, again requesting info:

"Further to my email, I am writing to follow-up the incident whereby your 11 month old daughter ingested Sudocrem Antiseptic Healing Cream on two occasions. I sincerely hope she is well and has fully recovered from both events.

It is our duty to follow-up such medication errors, and I would be most grateful if you could provide us with the following information for our safety records:

(1) Your address, or if you do not wish us to have this detail, the geographical area in which you reside.

(2) The initials of your daughter.

(3) How much of the 125g pot of Sudocrem do you think she managed to eat on each occasion? Also, do you happen to know the dates of these events?

(4) Did your daughter suffer any side-effects from the ingestion of Sudocrem Antiseptic Healing Cream? Has she fully recovered?

(5) Did you take her to the doctor? If so, what was the outcome?

I thank you in advance for your time and co-operation regarding this matter. Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes (name)"

Now, am I right to feel so utterly ANGRY about this?!!!! My daughter is the most precious thing in tjhe world to me, and much as I wqould hate any other parents children to suffer through sudocrem ingestion, I do not wish my child to be seem as some lab-rat to add to their case studies!!!! As much as anything, it was the whole tone of this that set my teeth on edge.

What do you think?

By the way, my daughter had runny poos for days after each ingestion, much as the doctor said she would, so eating sudocrem isn't something I would like her to do again.

Thanks for reading

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 11-Apr-11 14:37:56

Message withdrawn

bemybebe Mon 11-Apr-11 14:41:26

Hmmm, as pixie said. And lock away that pot please!

Katisha Mon 11-Apr-11 14:43:34

I think you are being rather strange. If it helps them why on earth not answer the questions? Lab-rat??? Hardly.

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 14:43:44

Because I contacted them about the pot design and not what happened when she ate it. They seemed to bypass what was to me the main issue, the pot design, and instead I get a barrage of questions about the ingestion.

As someone medical by profession myself, I've never come across this kind of research collection by a pharmaceutical company. They are usually much more courteous in their request for further information and will fully acknowledge your concerns before asking their own.

Katisha Mon 11-Apr-11 14:44:52

Perhaps they need to know more about side effects before they decide whether its worth the investment of changing their lid design.

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 14:46:33

The pot is out at nappy change at the moment it is needed, not left around. I don't leave anything around that might be harmful, ever. But I do need to use it at nappy change time.

The cream in now in a pot she cannot open.

I don't quite understand your issue? Surely for the sake of future young-sudocream-ingesters you could answer a few of their questions.

Of course the sudocreme makers need to know about potential side effects of ingesting their cream. And they can hardly force-feed it to babies to find out now can they?

Your ddd ingested it (not once but twice!) and very obviously (and thankfully) lived to tell the tale. So to me it makes sense the makers of sudocreme want to find out how she coped, what the doctor said, how long she was unwell for etc. I assume they want this information from you so they can advise and reassure the panicked and worried parents who rings them up in the future wailing their child has eaten sudocreme.

Fwiw I agree with you about the flimsyness of the lid. We have had sudocreme on carpets/sofas/the tv etc when the dc were little. And it does not was out easily!

was is wash!

LilRedWG Mon 11-Apr-11 14:49:10

I agree with the others. Keep the pot out of your daughter's reach.

Sudocrem is not known to be harmful but they need to ask these questions to find out if any side-effects come to light.

CURLYMAMMA Mon 11-Apr-11 14:52:56

I can see your point. I think the same of the sudoreme pot myself - my problem has always been the mess rather than the eating it. I would just email back saying happy to help, once they have addressed your original questions thoroughly. Sounds like a separate department just focussed on the medical side effects has contacted you and not looked at it from a touchy feely marketing/ customer service viewpoint. Sometimes, scientists can be a wee bit like that? Glad your wee one is OK.

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 14:53:12

Maybe I wouldn't feel so hacked off if I felt they were bothered about my child ingesting it?

supadupacreameggscupa Mon 11-Apr-11 14:54:05

changing the lid design would be a very expensive thing to do but you did right to tell them of your experience. I doubt they haven't realised this themselves by now to be honest.

I would answer the questions as I would always complain when i felt i should because this feedback is so so valuable to companies. If noone speaks up, nothing changes.

Your description of what you wrote to them is not clear that you are only complaining about the pot design. I am not surprised that they have assumed the issue is the ingested contents.

I can't understand why you won't answer them...you contacted them....what do you want them to do? Before investing in a redesign they will have to do a lot of research and build a case.....that's what they are doing

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 11-Apr-11 14:54:54

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 11-Apr-11 14:55:58

Message withdrawn

Katisha Mon 11-Apr-11 14:56:16

It seems like a perfectly polite and serious communication to me.
They have to follow it up, but you are refusing because you think they haven't couched it in a sufficiently contrite tone?
Oh well.

ShirleyKnot Mon 11-Apr-11 14:57:02

I don't really understand this. You say that the pot is only out during the nappy change - during which time you are, presumably, changing her nappy - how is she managing to eat large quantities of sudocrem? confused

I think you need to answer their questions TBH.

domesticslattern Mon 11-Apr-11 14:58:05

But they do sound bothered about her ingesting it.

"I sincerely hope she is well and has fully recovered from both events."

confused

I thought it was rather a friendly and sensible email TBH.

mousymouse Mon 11-Apr-11 14:58:14

that looks a lot like the yellow card for medicines. I think they are trying to establish side effects if ingested.
glad to hear that they are taking it seriously.
and maybe a report of adverse reactions spurns them on to make a better container!

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 14:58:20

Thanks curlymamma, at last someone gets why I was so miffed And yes what you say makes sense totally, I guess because of the response, it just got my cuff.

Thanks for the advice. I just wanted them to hear what I had to say about the rubbish pot design; if my daughter had been properly poorly because of the ingestion I would have contacted them about that issue first and foremost!

Regardless, a little more sympathetic response about my daughter would have perhaps made me feel less cross about the questions.

I don't feel half so cross now I've read your responses though, I can see you all have a point.

I don't quite understand your outrage.

If your DD has managed to get a hold of the pot, and eat some of it twice then it is your fault for not learning from the first incident.

She was about 8/9 mths when she did this for the first time?

As to them asking about possible side effects, is that not a good thing? So that they can reassess their packaging, if they feel it is truly necessary.

SingingSands Mon 11-Apr-11 15:01:57

What do you want from them? A grovelling apology and a bunch of flowers? They haven't done anything wrong! Also, the email was polite, and the writer did say that they sincerely hoped your DD was recovered. It's up to you whether you reply or not. It doesn't sound to me like they are treating your DD like a lab rat, it sounds like they are acting on your concerns i.e. if your DD had been seriously ill then the pot lid will be changed, if not it will remain the same.

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 15:02:08

I think the sudocrem contains in the main very similar ingredients to what is used for constipation.

I'm not sure what else without looking at a label (pot was binned!); it is supposed to have an antibacterial effect.

Thanks for the responses again

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 15:05:04

SingingSands >>>>

I do believe they should change the pot design to be honest, regardless of whether she was ill, not just if she was ill. If this happened again to someone else I would hope that they do. At the end of the day, you don't wait until a bad incident happens before you do something about it, surely?

ShirleyKnot Mon 11-Apr-11 15:06:52

WRT to changing the design of the lid - nooooo! can you imagine trying to negotiate a bloody "child lock" style lid at 3am with a baby squirming with a dirty nappy??

Noooooo. Just put the bloody pot somewhere sensible when you have finished putting it on your child!

MarioandLuigi Mon 11-Apr-11 15:07:39

lol at Lab-rat!

It isnt thier fault you didnt keep the pot out of your DD's reach, not once but twice. Atleast they are trying to show some concern.

caughtinanet Mon 11-Apr-11 15:08:14

How was an 11mth old subject to a barrage of questions ? Do you mean that they asked you about the circumstances of what had happened ?

How else would they find out the details ? Rather than being "disgsuted" I'd invest your energies in basic measures to put the pot a little bit further away from the child.

You sound a little overwrought about a tiny thing.

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 15:09:32

Okay so how do people cope with bepanthen in a tube with a screw on cap?!

tesco own brand - very similar design but tighter fitting lid.

I wasn't suggesting they put a lock on it really.... ;)

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 11-Apr-11 15:11:21

Message withdrawn

MyLifeIsChaotic Mon 11-Apr-11 15:11:21

Message withdrawn

hazeyjane Mon 11-Apr-11 15:11:25

I don't understand, surely there are all sorts of products that have easy to open lids that are used around children, you just have to keep them out of their way, and if they ingest some, it is your fault, not the fault of the manufacturer.

mousymouse Mon 11-Apr-11 15:12:51

I use a tube (weleda cream to be precise).
I quickly put a dab on my finger, screw the lid back on tighly, had tube to dd to hold so she doesn't squirm. job done.
they have changed their design btw, they used to have a flip-open tube, which a 10week old baby could open...

suzikettles Mon 11-Apr-11 15:19:46

FWIW, I agree with you about the packaging woadie. It's stupid to have a prise off lid like that. Wouldn't kill them to make it screw on.

And would have saved my carpet (but I did leave it in reach so mea culpa that time).

I don't really see anything wrong with the way they've worded their reply though.

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 15:22:09

How did it happen twice?

Because I took the lid off, took a scoop of cream, put the lid on the pot and put it to the side (we don't have a changing stand, we have floor, floor or floor), and in the time it took me to grab a squirming child who hates having her nappy changed, and get the cream on (which as some of you will know means cream in several different areas when they squirm) and in that time she had managed to reach the pot pop the lid and stick her hand in.

Okay so some of the more judgemental amongst you will now say 'you did not put it far enough away' and others will say 'yes thats easily done in those circumstances'.

To the more judgemental who obviously have saintly children who never put anything they shouldnt in their mouths and who have perfect homes with nothing ever, ever left even within a whisker of their children, and who can take them out and never worry about the same... I apologise.

To the rest of us who know that in an ideal world these things don't happen but we do our very very best to make sure they dont, thanks for the concern and the lack of judgement.

SkinittingFluffyBunnyBonnets Mon 11-Apr-11 15:27:16

Very, very odd post.

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 15:27:52

If I had left the pot lid OFF I would blame myself.

If I had left the pot next to her I would blame myself.

I left the pot at a distance I judged wrongly so maybe I am partially to blame.

However, if I am using a pot with a tight lid she cannot remove, its irrelavent anyway. I would think that there has to be a safety element to lid design around children, regardless.

Having said that, if the cream posed a danger perhaps the lid design would be different.

transferbalance Mon 11-Apr-11 15:31:09
slhilly Mon 11-Apr-11 15:31:37

woadie, those questions are almost certainly just taken from the form that Sudocreme has to send to the medicines safety regulator when they hear about an incident. The information gets collated and used to track drug safety overall. it can only be helpful to provide it.

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 15:32:48

on that note, I'll leave you, as most of you have made very fair and valid points and I thank you for the advice and helping me see sense with respect to the email I recieved, and why I should respond.

But a few of you have your claws out and tbh I don't think a forum is a place for being a claw crazed b****. Cheers.

woadie Mon 11-Apr-11 15:34:00

p.s. thanks transferbalance, that was really helpful and I'm going to buy some!

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 11-Apr-11 15:34:34

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 11-Apr-11 15:35:57

Message withdrawn

Unwind Mon 11-Apr-11 15:36:47

"Unbelievable! Sudocrem and attitude!"

Wow @ this thread

bemybebe Mon 11-Apr-11 15:42:11

What is "yellow card"?

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 11-Apr-11 15:44:55

Message withdrawn

MavisGrind Mon 11-Apr-11 15:48:01

As Oscar Wilde never said -

to leave the top off the sudocrem once may be regarded as a misfortune; to leave the top off the sudocrem twice looks like carelessness....

grin

sparkle12mar08 Mon 11-Apr-11 15:48:25

And using a glass jam jar for a cream which your daughter is obviously attracted to is sensible how?

Katishavinganegg Mon 11-Apr-11 15:48:52

He would have been talking about pseudocreme though surely?

Poppet45 Mon 11-Apr-11 15:53:53

I feel really sorry for the OP's stress, but my goodness, if they change the lid because of it to a childproof one then I am foooked. I need all hands to hold DS still and can just about open the current lid with my teeth grin

Thevelveteenrabbit Mon 11-Apr-11 15:55:38

Drug Companies have a legal obligation to follow up adverse incidents with regards to their products - just ignore the email if you want - but I can't see how any of the questions are upsetting you.
Your dd ate the cream they just want to add to their data on file with regards to side effects or not of eating the cream. It means that if someone else contacts them regarding their child eating the cream they can tell them your experience.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 11-Apr-11 15:55:50

Message withdrawn

culturemulcher Mon 11-Apr-11 15:57:13

On a slightly different point shirleyknot my DD was just like yours - loved to eat sudocrem (what is it about sudocrem?) and once ate most of a large pot before we caught her. We were living in France at the time so called their version of Poison Control.

We were told that there are no ingredients that could cause her harm, except one (I forget which) which could harm her ability to absorbe sugars temporarily. We were told to give her a 3 spoonfuls of sugar mixed with water to compensate. No side effects and she was fine... although continued to try hard to sneek a mouthful whenever I was changing her...

pingviner Mon 11-Apr-11 16:04:08

god, I thought it was just mine that had a taste for the stuff
though its normally out his reach and hes never ingested a significant ammount

I was just glad he wasnt chewing electrical cables tbh

YABU - as others have said, Sudocrem is licensed as a medicine in the UK, and ANY adverse events have to be followed up (whether they are 'expected' or 'unexpected', i.e. have been seen before in other patients or are new) and this information is compiled and used to determine what warning labels need to go on products. It is for patient safety and I think this is fundamentally a good thing. The advantage of it having licensed status is that the product is made to specific quality standards. They don't ask these questions for marketing purposes.

clayre Mon 11-Apr-11 16:11:32

My dc saw the sudocreme pot as a challenge, and I admit they both had their turns at getting hold of it and smearing it into anything close enough!

I used to change nappies sitting on the floor and kept the tub of cream behind me, I never had any bother at nappy changing time with them grabbing the cream usualy it was my own fault for not putting it away!

My ds used to wipe I off his bum when I just put it on and then lick his fingers he suffered no I'll effect!

Jacinda Mon 11-Apr-11 16:16:26

Jam jar is by far more dangerous than a scoop of Sudocrem. If she gets hold of it she can easily smash the jar and seriously hurt herself.

BTW I love the Sudocrem pot - so easy to open and use. I think Bepanthen is better in most cases but I use Sudocrem far more often purely because of the lovely pot.

jerURSULAmBuffay Mon 11-Apr-11 16:17:59

[baffled]

lynniep Mon 11-Apr-11 16:19:51

yup, what zingzilla said. Its nothing to do with marketing. Pharmaceutical firms HAVE to record adverse events - this information is absolutely necessary to ensure the oingoing safety of the product. If they didnt record it, and some other child ingested sudocreme at a later date and the reaction was a more severe version of what happened to your dd, what would you say if they hadnt taken note of your little ones incident? You would probably kicking up a stink because you ALREADY told them something happened and they didnt keep a record of it. It might have seemed a little 'unfeeling' but its in the best interests of the public that they ask these questions.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 11-Apr-11 16:21:45

Message withdrawn

LOLOL at Oscar Wilde and the Pseudocreme.

bemybebe Mon 11-Apr-11 17:13:41

Thank you Pixie

Sirzy Mon 11-Apr-11 17:32:39

Like most I can't see how it has happened twice or what the big issue was. If anything in that situation I would be pleased they are taking the issue seriously.

I use sudocreme with Ds and can see no way he could eat it without me being able to stop him in time!

Sirzy Mon 11-Apr-11 17:39:55

Like most I can't see how it has happened twice or what the big issue was. If anything in that situation I would be pleased they are taking the issue seriously.

I use sudocreme with Ds and can see no way he could eat it without me being able to stop him in time!

Debs75 Mon 11-Apr-11 17:43:34

Off the main topic here but do you really need to use sudocrem or any nappy product every time you change a nappy?

If you don't put cream on then there won't be any for her to put in her mouth.

I have had 4 kids, 2 in reusable nappies and I have barely opened a jar of sudocrem and hardly ever put nappy cream on them. DC4 sometimes gets cream when she is really sore but that is hardly ever and I find a time with no nappy on helps.

MissalReadings Mon 11-Apr-11 17:52:49

OP, if you really want to blame someone, you were to blame as your risk assessment was clearly wrong. It was just an accident though, so instead of trying to blame the company, learn from this and put it further away.

I, like someone else said earlier, prefer Weleda or Bepanthen, but only use those when actual rash appears as I find Sudacrem so much easier to use. I even leave the cap off most of the time, shock horror. I would hate for them to change the design just because of a silly mistake any of us could have made.

Blame culture is stupid. Oh, and e-mail sounded nice to me anyway. My thoughts when hearing about cream consumption was
a) Poor child, must have tasted horrid
b) Bet it was difficult getting that cream out of carpet
c) Bet pot will be put further away next time
Never for a moment did I think the company should spend millions on designing a new lid (and then potentially annoying half of their customers in the process!)

bemybebe Mon 11-Apr-11 18:10:47

My mum nearly drowned age 4 because my grandmother was reading a book looked away for 2 seconds. My mum taught me to swim when i was 8 months old and she did not ban the sea.

caughtinanet Mon 11-Apr-11 18:17:13

Debs75 - I was wondering about this but I know my standards aren't always as high as they might be so assumed I was in never having any Sudocreme other than the tiny pots you get in the bounty packs ao didn't dare mention it.

sneezecakesmum Mon 11-Apr-11 19:01:10

I'm sure the company would be very grateful to you for assisting in their questions. Maybe even a bunch of flowers!
Thing is pharmaceutical companies are not allowed to test their products on children as it is unethical, so if they can get any information on side effects of ingestion it is like gold dust to them and would help other children in the future as it can be noted by the national poisons information service.
Hence their eagerness to question you about DDs symptoms!

culturemulcher Mon 11-Apr-11 19:01:36

Debs75 after my DDs first bit of nappyrash I used sudocrem or vaseline or any other barrier cream religiously aftrer each nappy change. The result? Not just did DD or DS never get "really bad" ever again (DD hadn't got 'really bad' the first time), they didn't ever have even a hint of redness ever.

That's why I used sudocreme each change.

Sirzy Mon 11-Apr-11 19:08:43

I thought the same about using it every time, I don't see the need to use anything like that when not needed. Generally a tiny amount at the first sign of redness is enough to mean no more is needed.

Sudocrem is designed to be opened with one hand while you are changing a baby.

That is why it's easy to open.

It's not harmful if ingested, really it's not. They are investigating it because if someone ate say 30 pots of it and died, then they'd be in the shit if they did not do due investigation of previous complaints.

Had your child eaten a tampon you would receive the same set of questions.

Or a tube of toothpaste.

You sound unreasonably upset by this.

inspireddance Mon 11-Apr-11 21:43:05

Collecting information about side effects is a good thing and is used to make the product safer.

Fayrazzled Mon 11-Apr-11 21:56:37

culturemulcher- you shouldn't used sudocrem or other barrier cream with every nappy change if you are using modern disposable nappies. They are unnecessary and interfere with the "stay dry" layer thus increasing rather than reducing the likelihood of nappy rash.

OP sounds bonkers. Sudocrem's email is more than reasonable.

hocuspontas Mon 11-Apr-11 22:12:07

That's what we were told 18 years ago Fayrazzled. We never used any nappy cream. If a red rash developed we would just put a spot of Vaseline on. Maybe we were just lucky but I always believed going nappyless for part of the day helped.

tomhardyismydh Mon 11-Apr-11 22:28:49

hmm

MarioandLuigi Mon 11-Apr-11 22:30:25

I think OP is projecting her guilt onto someone else (in this case Sudocrem).

chipmonkey Mon 11-Apr-11 23:18:09

MissalReader I really don't think it can taste all that horrid. I have heard of countless children who love the stuff and will try very hard to get a mouthful of it!grin

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about - this thread is hilarious. YOU make a mistake (twice) in keeping the Sudocrem too near your (you admit it yourself) wriggly baby, and then get angry with the company for trying to follow up a complaint about the packaging? Would you have got angrier if they HADN'T followed it up? I'm not sure what you want out of all this!

I always used Sudocrem at my (wriggly) children's nappy changes (every time with DS2 - he has sensitive skin and eczema so was very prone to nappy rash at the drop of a hat). I think it's great stuff. Good that the lid is easy to get off with one hand while you're trying to keep them on the mat with the other hand. I used to put the pot slightly behind me - can't understand how your baby is reaching that unless you've actually got up and gone to the other end of the room or something.

Hopefully this is a lesson learned, OP - do not try and blame others for what is essentially YOUR mistake. Which you made twice.

hmm

[getting more angry at "attitude" of OP with every bloody second now, actually]

ps. this is a wind-up, surely? Cos I'm getting wound up......

MissalReadings Mon 11-Apr-11 23:50:11

Hmm, chipmonkey, you're probably right. Actually, this great love for the stuff is probably to be expected from a generation that is happy to eat bottled veg purees... wink [vom]

differentnameforthis Tue 12-Apr-11 10:50:27

I think it is your duty to share the side effects she suffered, tbh. I hardly think answering those basic questions is giving the same status as a lab rat!

And really, in your life time as a parent you are going to come across many unsuitable containers for various things. The one thing you need to do is keep it stuff out of her reach. The lid design for the sudocream is handy, as you can flip it off one handed! It is up to you to make sure it is out of her reach, next to you when you change nappies, not within in her grasp.

They are usually much more courteous in their request for further information Maybe they aren't happy that you didn't reply to the original email requesting the same info?

Also, sorry, but you shouldn't have put it into an un-labelled, glass jar either. ld.

I think this is also a harsh lesson in the fact that not everyone is going to be overly concerned for the safety of your child. They expressed their concern, I don't understand what more you wanted?

COCKadoodledooo Tue 12-Apr-11 10:55:06

Sorry - not seen you mention it, but assume the reason you refer to dd/yourself as 'lab-rats' is because they've asked you to feed it to her again and describe further side effects?

Thought not hmm

redvelvetmooncupcake Tue 12-Apr-11 11:18:59

Google the MHRA. The manufacturers will have to be compliant with all regulations and will have procedures for reporting adverse events and any reactions to the product. This is to protect babies (especially ones who are allowed to eat the Sudocreme hmm).

It's not a food product, and it's not the manufacturer's fault that you have been irresponsible with the container. If your DD squirts cream cleaner into her mouth will you say it's the manufacturer's fault for not designing an impregnable bottle? Or if you find her chewing the toilet brush like it's a lolly willl you be getting angry with Ikea?

If your baby had eaten the cream once, fair enough, accidents happen, but you LET it happen again. You can buy Sudocrem in a small tube if it's so hard for you to keep the tub out of reach. You need to look at your attitude to home safety and please do respond to Sudocreme's questions.

culturemulcher Tue 12-Apr-11 11:27:42

Fayrazzled DCs out of nappies now but they never, ever had any hint of nappy rash or even any redness using a barrier cream at every change. That's why I was a convert grin.

But agree with you that the OP is over-reacting to the letter. But so are some of the other posts. It is frustrating when you complain about one thing (the easy access tops - which I don't think they should change, btw) but have a letter back about something else (medical problems/side affects).

Still, I think the sudocrem manufacturers were just doing their job diligently, and the OP should fill out the form.

yentil Tue 12-Apr-11 21:59:48

just to say if you don't think you have a civil duty to share your experiences for the sake of others that may not get off so lightly then there is no hope!

mpsmum Fri 13-May-11 14:12:58

thanks to all, this has been the best thread ever!

maxybrown Fri 13-May-11 15:28:27

Anyway, where would we be if none of us had our Sudocrem stories to tell? grin our Siamese cat had a streak down her back for months afterwards grin Just to add though - the cat did not manage to get it off with her paws wink

cory Sat 14-May-11 10:26:47

fascinating thread this confused

MoreBeta Sat 14-May-11 10:38:24

woadie - you are learning something that all parents suddenly realise.

Your baby is no longer a 'helpless baby' but a very curious thinking being with an infinite capacity for exploration and with fine and gross motor skills that are improving at an exponential rate.

In 12 month time I guarantee you that every cupboard door handle in your kitchen will have bits of string or plastic ties round them and the TV remote will have had the battery cover removed and lost/ingested.

Better start installing some shelves to put things like this on and get some cupboard locks and stair gates.

My ds smeared a whole tub mixed with coal dust into my cream carpet. The most painful part is that I had the carpet professionally cleaned the day before- it looked like a fresian cow pattern.

Now when I look back, I was quite loopy after his birth and could be a bit stressy psycho at times, but even I didn't blame sudocrem for that.

wonka Sat 14-May-11 10:52:40

You OP made a mistake (twice) what I don't understand is how your baby managed to get it into their mouth. I've been changing baby and they've stuck their fingers in the cream.. a quick uh oh, NO and baby wipe have meant its not been ingested. It sound to me like you left your baby unattended with the closed jar of cream and lkow and behold they've reached it and opened it.
This is Sudocrem's fault HOW?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now