Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Leg / Joint pain after virus

(18 Posts)
butterbean77 Mon 31-Jan-11 21:33:07

Hi everyone

My DS (6) is recovering from a really nasty virus over weekend. Vomiting, very high temps, swollen glands.

Although these symptoms have gone now, he is experiencing severe leg pain. It hurts him when he walks...and he is on tiptoe when he does walk. Am taking him to Dr's tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone else had any experience of this?

butterbean77 Mon 31-Jan-11 21:34:05

Hi everyone

My DS (6) is recovering from a really nasty virus over weekend. Vomiting, very high temps, swollen glands.

Although these symptoms have gone now, he is experiencing severe leg pain. It hurts him when he walks...and he is on tiptoe when he does walk. Am taking him to Dr's tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone else had any experience of this?
Add your message here (See our Talk guidelines)

butterbean77 Mon 31-Jan-11 21:36:12

sorry for the double bubble

Sounds like reactive arthritis. It's quite common after viral illnesses. But should be checked out anyway. Give him ibuprofen.

Oh it's temporary btw.

Pterosaur Mon 31-Jan-11 21:39:41

I wonder if he could have an infection in a joint?

butterbean77 Mon 31-Jan-11 21:42:27

I've googled a bit ...seems like it could be that virus has settled in his joint? I'd never heard of this?

OgreTripletsAreSoCute Mon 31-Jan-11 21:42:58

My DS (also 6) had very painful legs with a severe cough/cold before Christmas. A couple of mornings he was crying with it when he woke up, it was that bad, though it wore off a bit one he got moving. I took him to the practice nurse who said it was associated with the viral infection and advised Calpol and gentle stretching exercises for the calf muscles (sit on the floor with legs straight out and flex feet) also rubbing them if he liked that. It went within a week or so. Best get him checked out.

butterbean77 Mon 31-Jan-11 21:45:44

Thanks all xx

butterbean77 Mon 31-Jan-11 22:16:01

Bump...He just got out of bed to go for a wee and fell over - having difficulty walking at all!!!

Okay, if he can't put weight on his legs at all, call the out of hours service. Sometimes trauma induced infections can appear like flu - he may need some heavy duty antibiotics very quickly.

butterbean77 Mon 31-Jan-11 22:41:48

trauma induced..? You mean like him having had an injury or something?

Yes but you wouldn't necessarily notice it. Vis I had a splinter in my finger - I couldn't see it - it was so small, after unpacking christmas decorations. By the next day it was a bit sore and I felt like I was coming down with a cold. The next day my elbow was massively swollen, I could not use my arm at all and I had a flu type illness.

A week's antibiotics later the flu like illness was gone but two weeks on I still had a dodgy arm.

But again, still more likely to be viral arthritis

butterbean77 Mon 31-Jan-11 22:54:25

Ok, he's sleeping soundly now...no temp, no sign of pain whilst lying down. I will take him to GP first thing in morning I think XX

Good idea. If it is a viral reaction - a hot water bottle (wrapped up) on the sore joint can really help.

ShowOfHands Mon 31-Jan-11 22:59:38

DD had a really nasty virus before Christmas. Once she'd started to recover she started to complain about leg pain, particularly her knees. She woke up crying, couldn't lie still, refused to bear weight and was very distressed.

Checked out, was just a temporary reaction and ibuprofen, water bottles and lots of massage helped. Lasted a few days, maybe a week.

Krankey Thu 18-Apr-13 07:02:45

It's funny you say this. My son who is 7 is now getting over a bad viral infection that lasted a week. Three days ago he could not get out of bed and said he could not walk. He had to crawl everywhere. I took him to the Dr on the second day of him not walking and the Dr. said that when the legs muscles are effected with swelling it's a certain stain. Told me to let him soak in warm twice a day and give him Motrin 3 times a day. Just like your son he too started having to walk on his tip toes for that day and the next. I then told him in order to go to school he must try to walk on flat feet. We went for a short walk to the store and a treat was in order when he then walked the whole way off his toes. That was today and now he is doing fine and and will be going back to school in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now