Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Gunky, yellow discharge from 3.3 year olds eye

(8 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Mon 31-Jan-11 13:16:20

DS has had yellow gunk from his left eye now for about 5 days. His eye isn't pink or sore looking, not itching, but he just keeps getting this yellow, thick gunk from it. I'm cleaning it with cool boiled water and cotton wool, it doesn't seem to be improving.

Any idea at what point I need to take him to the Doctor? How do I know if it is infected or not?

Thanks

sheeplikessleep Mon 31-Jan-11 13:17:25

PS we've all had colds, so I think that's related.

Any advice or information very gratefully received. Thanks

RunningOutOfIdeas Mon 31-Jan-11 13:21:22

Your DS might have conjunctivitis.

You can buy Optrex Infected Eyes from a pharmacy. This is what is normally prescribed by a GP for conjunctivitis.

KirstyJC Mon 31-Jan-11 13:21:44

My DS (2yo) gets this with bad colds too. DS1 doesn't but I think DS2 is just prone to it.

I do what you do, keep it clean and it generally goes after a few days. Occasionally his eye gets pink as well (and both eyes get it) then I call the doctor for a prescription for eye drops for conjunctivitis, and it clears up in a couple of days of using them.

If it doesn't seem to be bothering him, is only in one eye and doesn't look pink then I would carry on as you are for another couple of days. Then try your GP / nurse practioner.

And make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after cleaning him 'cos conjunctivitis is very contagious - I have got it twice from DS2 already!

Good luck

propercrimbo Mon 31-Jan-11 13:21:56

Hiya, my DS gets this occasionally, it's really nothing to worry about it unless it's red and sore.
I use cooled tea bags to wipe it away, something in the tea seems to soothe it and helps clear it up quicker.
Otherwise keep doing what you are doing, DS had it last week funnily enough, only lasted two/three days and now it's gone smile

KirstyJC Mon 31-Jan-11 13:22:41

Yes, it was Optrex infected eyes that GP gives DS2 as well.

sheeplikessleep Mon 31-Jan-11 13:22:52

thanks runningoutofideas. he's had conjunctivitis before, but his eye was quite pink and sore then and it's not at the moment (neither is it 'stuck together' in the morning or crusty). i'm trying to find out how to differentiate just a cold or whether it is conjunctivitis.

sheeplikessleep Mon 31-Jan-11 13:25:48

thanks all for posting. that's reassuring. i'll leave it a couple more days and see how he gets on. i'll try the cooled teabags trick propercrimbo, thank you!

i'll keep an eye on it. it's def just one eye and not sore looking. it's just like snot coming out of his eye (sorry if tmi!). he is nearly over the cold now, so i'm hoping it'll clear up by itself.

thanks all for posting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now