Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

horrible chesty cough in 9 month old..when do you take to the doctor?

(10 Posts)
missytequila Mon 10-Jan-11 13:07:21

my 9 month old has a horrible chesty cough. wheezing, lots of junk dripping down from nose...rattling...

she has just cut a tooth and another one is about too. she is eating fine and generally happy... but my mum keeps insisting that i should take her to the doctor because of the way her chest sounds..

i am not sure and hate to give antibiotics... is there anything else I can do besides steaming in the shower room?

should I go to the doctor? when is a baby cough serious?

PocketMouse Mon 10-Jan-11 13:11:27

How long has she had the cough?

How does her chest look? Are her ribs being drawn in when she's breathing (you'll know it when you see it I think),

Have a look at bronciolitis symptoms

Sirzy Mon 10-Jan-11 13:15:36

Is she drinking normally?

I think you have to trust your instincts on this one, but getting it checked won't do any harm. Any signs of struggling to breathe or 'sucking in' as breathing get her seen straight away.

Sirzy Mon 10-Jan-11 13:16:59

Re antibiotics, at this age it will most likely be treated as bronchiolitis so I doubt antibiotics would be given.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 10-Jan-11 13:34:21

Message withdrawn

missytequila Mon 10-Jan-11 14:44:49

thanks for the symptoms link.

thing is she doesnt have those symptoms, just few.

no fever. eating and drinking fine. chest not sucking in...

its just that when she coughs, its sounds wheezy and full of junk that she cant seem to cough up.

she breathes fine, except just before a cough.
maybe will get checked out anyway. thing is I am in america at the moment and it will cost money.

Sirzy Mon 10-Jan-11 15:07:06

Personally I think it would be worth the money to know that all is fine. The chest isn't something worth taking risks with, its probably nothing but better safe than sorry

CharlieBoo Mon 10-Jan-11 19:10:49

You don't always get a fever with bronchilitis, in fact everytime my dd has had it, she's never had a fever...I would get her seen.

Sirzy Mon 10-Jan-11 19:23:18

DS has never had a fever with it either. When he was on CPAP the nurses were amazed that when every other reading they were doing was haywire his temp remained constant!

missytequila Tue 11-Jan-11 18:46:55

took baby. they have given her a breathing machine type thing that mists medicine in via a face mask... am meant to do this for a few days to help with wheezing. also gave me script for some sort of allergy medicine to use as needed.

thanks for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now