Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

newborn's eye weeping, now greenish discharge!

(7 Posts)

It's been weeping since he was born a week ago and have been following MW's advice re. cooled boiled water (though it was water from tap a couple of times blush) and squirts of breastmilk. But the last few days have seen it get worse, with yellow and now greeny-yellow discharge. sad Pus, I presume. He isn't bothered by it and isn't scrubbing at his eyes, though he does sometimes rub it (and presumably that isn't great for an infection).

MW has advised us to contact out-of-hours GP and we're just waiting for them to call back. Any experience with this going all pus-y, or with using antibiotic drops on such a tiny baby?

sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 13:33:36

Message withdrawn

dikkertjedap Sun 26-Dec-10 17:14:15

I would call out of hours service - we were told with dd that in a newborn it needs to be clearly monitored as there is a small risk of permanent eye damage.

Lulumaam Sun 26-Dec-10 17:15:27

keep using the breast milk but deffo sounds infected and i think abx drops are the way to go and use cooled boiled water on a clean piece of cotton to clean. a seperate piece for each eye and wipe from the inner corner outwards, and wash your hands after doing so or giving drops

Done, and done! smile Thanks for responding. The greeny-yellow stuff comes and goes but is yukky, and I'd read that it can be potentially harmful at this stage. Have just put first lot of drops in. smile

PenguinFeet1 Sun 26-Dec-10 17:48:23

Johnsons baby shampoo mixed with same quanity of water. Dab it on with cotton wool. Always worked in my experience.

enimod Mon 27-Dec-10 11:11:11

green means infected-my son had this-he needs a cream from the doctors. my sons eye duct was actually blocked-so it could be that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now