Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox, just around the mouth??

(10 Posts)
Goofymum Sun 21-Nov-10 21:20:32

Just wondered if any other parents have seen this kind of rash in their child: Red spots (a bit like acne, not really blisters) around the mouth and on the chin. Nowhere else. My DD, nearly 5years old, has had these spots appear over the last 2 days. She is otherwise well. A pharmacist said it was a viral rash and we also took her to the out of hours GP who said it was chicken pox. I'm not convinced as there are no other spots anywhere else, she's not ill, they're not itchy and she has had chicken pox before. I cannot find anything on the internet apart from hand Foot and Mouth, but she hasn't got the foot and hand bit!!
Am hoping someone else out there has seen similar in their child? we're keeping her off school tomorrow anyway just in case. thanks.

TheFowlAndThePussycat Sun 21-Nov-10 21:31:17

My daughter has just had hand foot and mouth on one tiny spot on her foot, and on her bum (she is still in nappies) I didn't think anything of it & took her out everywhere as usual and have ended up infecting loads of people. It is very mild & a primary school teacher I know said that at her school they don't ask pupils to stay away from school with it anyway. I felt terribly guilty though!

TheFowlAndThePussycat Sun 21-Nov-10 21:35:14

I should say that I only found out that it was hfm after my friend's daughter came out with it all over & they took her to the docs. I thought they'd laugh me out of the surgery if I showed up saying my dd's got spots on one foot!

DaftApeth Sun 21-Nov-10 21:36:24

Impetigo?

Are there yellowish crusts on the spots?

If you google, it will show you pics of very extreme cases but ds only had one spot, dd's was more rash like with spots mixed in.

It requires antibiotic cream or oral medicine.

Goofymum Sun 21-Nov-10 21:39:15

That's good to know. It does look like the pictures of the mouth part of HF&M. We'll keep her off school tomorrow anyway, as the doctor asked to see s chicken pox develops but i really dont think it will.

Goofymum Sun 21-Nov-10 21:40:33

There's no yellow crust. DaftApeth - did your DS have crusts then - how was it diagnosed?

onimolap Sun 21-Nov-10 21:42:25

It&s very, very rare to get chicken pox twice. But if a GP who has seen the rash has said that is what it it, then you'll have to keep her at home until they have dried and crusted over.

It is possible to have chicken pox with only a couple of spots, my mother reports that my brother was covered in them, whilst my sister had just two (that she only spotted because six was still small enough for Mum to have been supervising bathtime).

Goofymum Sun 21-Nov-10 21:46:46

I know it's mad to go to a GP for his opinion and then disagree with it, but he was looking at the rash for a while and then as soon as my DD said it itched he leapt on that and said it's chicken pox. He was very dismissive and didn't ask about any other symptoms. DD has said it hasn't itched since.

DaftApeth Sun 21-Nov-10 21:50:07

Dd had it first, was diagnosed by gp during a visit for something else. She had to have oral ab because the spots were so close to her lips.

Ds had one spot a few weeks later, again happened to be at the gp who prescribed fucidin cream and that was much more effective at clearing it up quickly.

Both had a definite yellow crust - a bit like after you pick a spot and some fluid comes out blush

GiddyPickle Mon 22-Nov-10 18:49:47

I think it sounds like impetigo too - the location of the spots is one sign and the fact they look like red blisters but don't itch hugely is another.

It is contagious and they have to stay off school with it but the treatment is antibiotic cream (or oral antibiotics in extreme cases).

You could ask your local pharmacist to have a look as they see things that a lot and would probably be able to help (not that you can buy antibiotic cream though - that has to be prescribed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now