Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sore throat remedies for a 3 year old please

(17 Posts)
Blatherskite Thu 11-Nov-10 18:42:00

DS has caught my bug sad

I've got a headache, a sore throat, earache and general aches. DS seems to have all of the same symptoms plus a temperature and shivers.

We saw the doctor today and he's checked him over. Doctor says it is viral and there's nothing to be done but wait it out.

But poor DS keeps bursting into tears because of the pain in his throat and asking me to make it better. My throat is really painful so I can imagine how he's feeling and it's not nice. We've tried cool drinks and ice lollies and he's having Calpol and Nurofen every 3 hours but he still says it hurts.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other things I could try to make him more comfortable? It's heartbreaking seeing him so upset. He's 3 years 8 months old.

pinkyp Thu 11-Nov-10 23:38:43

honey and lemon in boiled water left to cool.

bubbleymummy Fri 12-Nov-10 20:08:29

Try a big spoonful of manuka honey. We use it for sore throats and coughs and it really seems to help.

Blatherskite Fri 12-Nov-10 20:57:31

Just loked up Manuka honey online at Tesco. The good stuff, the 10+ is £10 a jar!!

Still, poor old DS is so poorly today, I'm tempted. We're worried that the tonsillitis he had over half term is back. Doctor saw him on Thursday and said No but the day he diagnosed it last time was our second visit it 24 hours. The day before the doctor had said it was just a cold too. sad

bubbleymummy Fri 12-Nov-10 21:14:44

poor boy yes it is expensive but we treat it more like medicine and only use it when we're sick (thankfully not that often!) I could have sworn I got my 15+ in tesco last week for £9.99 but I could be wrong! Maybe see if it's on special offer anywhere?

It's antibacterial as well so if there is anything nasty lurking in his throat it could really help. DH took it when he had tonsillitis last year and managed to get over it without taking antibiotics so I do have great faith in it!

Blatherskite Fri 12-Nov-10 21:47:29

When I looked just now they had 5+ for just under £8 and 10+ for £9.99. They were on 3 for 2.

He's already had 10 days worth of Penicillin so we could do without any more ABs

KatyMac Fri 12-Nov-10 21:49:16

I melt a knob of butter & a marshmallow (microwave) then DD licks it off a spoon - it sort of coats on the way down

bubbleymummy Fri 12-Nov-10 22:04:40

I just searched on my tesco online. It was the Boyne Valley one that I got. It was on 3 for 2 as well but cost £8.99 for 15+.

USoRight Sat 13-Nov-10 21:50:52

If DSs throat isn't calming down after 2-3 days he could have tonsillitis, where the viral inflammation provides a perfect breeding ground for the bugs that live in the throat to take hold - lots of things start of viral and then opportunistic infections take place. Apparently the immune response to the viral infection is different to the bacterial one, and it interferes with the body fighting off the new bactiarial infection. Poor bit of design really on the bodys part!

ConnorTraceptive Sat 13-Nov-10 21:55:11

Buttercup cough medicine is quite good to soothe sore throats and i don't know why but vicks vapour rub on the chest is quite soothing.

Also it will help if you can stop his throat drying out so lots of sips of water/juice or ice lollies.

I would avoid having the heating on whilst he sleeps as that will dry his throat out and make it feel worse.

ConnorTraceptive Sat 13-Nov-10 21:56:37

Oh and let him sleep in with you tonight I think that's about the most soothing thing there is for poorly little ones

SGertie Sat 13-Nov-10 21:59:49

I second manuka honey and also buttercup syrup.
Hope he's better soon

Blatherskite Sun 14-Nov-10 10:26:32

He's still poorly today so I'll be taking him back to the doctors tomorrow unless he makes a miraculous recovery tonight. He had acute tonsillitis over half term so it's a definite possibility that it could be back.

Back-to-back Nurofen and calpol are just about keeping his temp in check but he get's so upset and miserable when it's wearing off sad

Unfortunately, I have it too so I know just how rotten he's feeling.

We did try letting him sleep with us but his temp is so high, it just makes us all more uncomfortable. He was much happier in the end in his own bed, wearing just his pull ups with a cool flannel on his head. We're checking on him every couple of hours and covering him if necessary. DH and I are both knackered.

He has a sippy cup (dug out from the back of the cupboard) with water in it so he can have it with him at all times and I stocked up on ice lollies for him too. Just trying to find the energy myself to get out for some of the Honey.

Will add Buttercup and Vicks to my list

Thank you everyone

ConnorTraceptive Sun 14-Nov-10 17:45:34

Ah poor little love tonsillitus sucks.

For yourself you should get some hydrogen peroxide from the chemist - dilute as describe and gargle sound bonkers but it's what I was given when I was admitted to hospital with tonsillitus

bubbleymummy Sun 14-Nov-10 18:26:35

Im not sure if your DS can gargle yet(mine can't!) but for you - warm water with a few drops of tea tree oil. It's antibacterial and it kind of numbs your throat too. It really helps at night for me. Hope you both feel better soon.

Blatherskite Sun 14-Nov-10 18:32:09

I'm not sure what's up with me. We've been to the doctors 4 times in the past 3 weeks and I've alwasy been too worried about DS to make another appointment for me.

Would it be Mumzilla-ish to take him back again tomorrow do you think? Poor thing has a temp of 40.2 and we're struggling to keep it down with Calpol/Nurofen. I'm worried as he's been on the maximum doses for 5 days now and there's been no change.

SGertie Sun 14-Nov-10 19:51:19

Poor little boy! Definitely take him back to the doctor with those symptoms.
If you didn't manage to get out for some manuka honey just give him normal honey. Whilst it doesn't have the same super powers it will still help a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now