Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

my son has swallowed a stone!

(11 Posts)
jetgirl Mon 27-Sep-10 11:18:19

Ok, I expect A and E will tell me to wait it out, but just wanted to check with wise mnetters before spending several hours at hospital!

DS (nearly 3) has just come to me and said 'stone has gone' and showed me his mouth. After much questioning it transpires that he has probably swallowed a small, smooth, brown pebble, may 1 1/2 cm long.

So do I go to A and E, whom I imagine would be reluctant to x-ray, particularly as it's not a definite case of swallowing (though I cannot find said stone anywhere), or wait it out, feeding him a diet of prunes?!

All advice gratefully received!

jetgirl Mon 27-Sep-10 11:25:59

Anyone?

Quodlibet Mon 27-Sep-10 11:27:26

When I was a child I ate, on separate occasions, a garden worm and a purple crayon, neither of which my mother realised until I crapped them out later. The worm was still alive, the crayon just created a nice decorative effect.

I reckon what goes in will come out again?

FrameyMcFrame Mon 27-Sep-10 11:29:53

I'd ring your GP and ask them. Or NHS direct, but better to speak to your own GP.
Quodilbet grin and shock at live worm!

Tikkabillajive Mon 27-Sep-10 11:30:20

I think I'd go to A&E - sorry! Maybe call NHS direct first though?

Just waiting for my own nearly 3-yr-old boy to do this, to complete the hat trick after poo-on-wall and pea-up-nose.

jetgirl Mon 27-Sep-10 11:46:05

TBH it was only a matter of time, he is going through such a phase of putting things in his mouth!

Have rung NHS direct who say it should pass through his system, so I'll keep a close eye on him and go to A and E if syptoms appear. He has just asked for a bowl of shreddies, so if he eats those for several days I expect I'llk see it quite soon grin

Quodlibet - a live worm - yuck! The crayon I can understand though!

Tikkabillajive - the poo on the wall is maybe worse than the live worm...

Thanks for all advice.

FrameyMcFrame Mon 27-Sep-10 11:52:24

Tikkabillajive, I had the sweetcorn up nose thing with Dd, she pushed 3 bits up the same nostril so the top one went in a long way...

I had to physically restrain her while the ENT doc got it out with a long hook and threats of general anesthetics and operations!

Tikkabillajive Tue 28-Sep-10 18:42:07

Have you recovered the stone yet jetgirl?

Framey it was 2 peas for us! The nurse was amazing and got them out with a suction thingy. DS was given a sticker and a balloon and came away looking thoroughly pleased with himself. Honestly, I live in fear of what this child will do next...

gasman Tue 28-Sep-10 20:03:40

Swallowing a stone will probably be fine assuming they didn't inhale it but ate it.

Smooth objects pass through the digestive tract pretty well. I would also suggest that you don't torture yourself poo sieving looking for it as I expect you won't find it and will then worry more.

Ingested objects which cause problem are sharp things (ie hair clips, or batteries). This need surgical removal.

Stuff in ears/ noses and lungs do need more action than watchful waiting. Things like batteries are pretty toxic and have to be removed ASAP.

jetgirl Wed 29-Sep-10 23:27:23

Still waiting for the stone, fortunately for me ds is at nursery tomorrow so they will get to deal with the poo - he's very regular and always goes in the afternoon! He s still quite happy, but has put no inedible objects in his mouth today which is a first!

chriscoracle Mon 13-Jul-15 10:56:35

When sieving poo , is there a household chemical that dissolves it rapidly. I tried boiling water & water jet from a hose. Its proved resilient. (Looking for something swallowed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now