classic book for 7 year old girl

(14 Posts)
Wheelybug Tue 24-Nov-09 10:22:17

As far as I know she reads well - or so her mother says grin - the last thing i saw her reading was one of the HSM books(no idea what age they would be).

Would like to buy a classic book - although could be a modernish classic. Any recommendations ?
thanks very muchly.

rmom2two Tue 24-Nov-09 12:33:38

There are some lovely Walker Illustarted classics on amazon. The range includes:

Secret Garden
Classic Fairy tales
Jungle Book
Alice in Wonderland
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Moby Dick
Wind in the Willows
Christmas Carol
plus 4 others

chopstheduck Tue 24-Nov-09 12:39:28

ballet shoes

Wheelybug Tue 24-Nov-09 13:12:53

Thanks

Will take a look at those rmom2two.

Chops - I had thought of ballet shoes as this was one of my favourite books as a child but wasn't sure if it was a bit old, can't remember when I read it first (the last time was last year) ? I have no idea (my dds are 4 and 8mth)

chopstheduck Tue 24-Nov-09 13:40:37

dd has just read it and she is 9 (and absolutely loved it), and she generally struggles with reading and is a bit behind for her age. If the 7yo is already reading HSM books I'd have thought maybe she would enjoy ballet shoes.

cazzybabs Tue 24-Nov-09 19:24:15

ohh the dolls house by Rumur godden

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 24-Nov-09 19:31:20

Heidi?

Ballet Shoes?

Any of the Enid Blyton school stories? I think St Claire's is the easiest.

Takver Wed 25-Nov-09 10:00:27

DD (7) has a box set of the St Clares books which I think my mum got very cheap through the Book People/Red House or someone like that - she loves them.

DD likes Ballet Shoes too, but preferred White Boots I think.

Or what about 101 Dalmations? Classic and definitely the right age range.

Wheelybug Wed 25-Nov-09 11:20:28

great thanks everyone.

Cazzy - not heard of that - will take a look.

Thought the school enid blyton's might be a bit too old but good news they're not ! They were also my faves. I am in the middle of re-reading Malory Towers thanks to the Book People ! Can't wait for dd's to get onto all my old favourites.

Takver Wed 25-Nov-09 12:32:17

Sorry, yes, just looked, dd's box set is also Malory Towers, not St Clares, she must have had the St Clares ones from the library.

Wheelybug Wed 25-Nov-09 14:09:58

Sadly neither Book People or Red house have the set at the moment. I have ordered Ballet shoes and will keep an eye out for the MT box set for her.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

cazzybabs Wed 25-Nov-09 18:13:23

dolls house sounds very twee...but is really rerally lovely - nice moral, well written - lovely...I love all her books - although only discovered them through dd1..

Also love the Moomin books

LittleFriendSusan Wed 25-Nov-09 22:41:29

Agree with the Doll's House (also Little Plum / the Diddakoi by same author)& Ballet Shoes.

TK Maxx have box sets of both St Clare's & Mallory Towers in at the moment; think they were around £10.

pointydogg Wed 25-Nov-09 22:49:47

Get Enid Blyton if you;re not sure. That way, you'll know it will be read

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now