Roald dahl books for young readers

(10 Posts)
lexcat Thu 11-Oct-07 10:12:58

DD 6 loves The Twits and I have read it to abou three times, her teacher has read it and now she is reading it. She tried Matilda but got lost very quickly.
Out of all the Roald Dahl books which are best for younger children and which are best to leave till she's a little older.
We've read Fantastic Mr fox and The Mimpins both of which she loved.

mustsleep Thu 11-Oct-07 10:17:52

yes def the twits and geroges marvelous medicine went down well with ds (he's five) also james giant peach wne t down well

MerlinsBeard Thu 11-Oct-07 10:18:55

the enormpous crcodile is great. ds1 (4) loves it!

bobsmum Thu 11-Oct-07 10:19:25

Ds is 5 and loved the Magic Finger. I didn't expect him to, but he really like Esio TRot too.

themildmanneredaxemurderer Thu 11-Oct-07 10:20:47

i am reading danny champion of the world to ds who is 7 at the moment and he is loving it! all about poaching. but more emotionally complex than the twits or georges marvellous medicine-quite a bit more grown up.

MerlinsBeard Thu 11-Oct-07 10:22:18

is the giraffe and the pelly and me the one with the poems in?

what about the obvious....charlie and the chocoate factory?

mrsflowerpot Thu 11-Oct-07 10:24:01

George's Marvellous Medicine or James and the Giant Peach I would say. Try the Witches too - DS has struggled getting into Matilda, I think it takes a long time to get to the action iyswim, but The Witches is straight in there.

bobsmum Thu 11-Oct-07 10:24:02

Oh yes - giraffe, the pelly and me - ds loved that too! It has songs in it which ds insisted I made up tunes too hmm

pyjamagirlgotbitbyvampires Thu 11-Oct-07 10:29:54

The enormous crocodile or the twits

can't help laughing all the way through them though blush

lexcat Thu 11-Oct-07 10:31:13

Thanks your reminding me of all the books she has in fact read, Esio Trot and The giraffe pelly and me.
Loved Roald Dahl as a child and never read the Enomous Crodile so we might try that then George's Marvelous Medicine can't believe I forgot about hat one it was one of my top Dahl books as a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now