Books for a 5 yr old boy

(8 Posts)
creamcheeseandlox Tue 29-Nov-16 12:26:21

I'm struggling on what to get for my ds who is 5. He had loads of short story grufflo type books and some usbourne educational flap books but want some ideas for Christmas. He is only in reception so I don't want proper story books (plus we have lots from my dd who is 7)but just got no idea what to look for?

ofhorse Tue 29-Nov-16 14:49:17

Bumping as I'd be interested in this too

elQuintoConyo Tue 29-Nov-16 14:53:34

DS loves loves loves my old copy of Puppies and Kittens from my childhood - it's a Ladybird early reader. You might be able to find it online. It is picture one page, text the other, eg 'this puppy can see a snail', rather than a story. It was one of my favourite books and I received it when i was 5yo (written inside front cover grin).

I had lots of Ladybird books: Tasseltip Takes a Ride (story), The Gingerbread Boy etc.

We have just started reading Roald Dahl's The Twits, 2 pages at bedtime, it's gonna take a while!

ofhorse Tue 29-Nov-16 20:36:10

Thanks - yes we love all the classic stories (hansel and Gretel current fave). Might try the early readers as you say-- he's started his jollyphonics in school this year.

elQuintoConyo Tue 29-Nov-16 21:38:48

DS picked up The Hums of Pooh and has been demanding more rhymes all evening:

Isn't it funny
How a bear likes honey
Buzz buzz buzz
I wonder why he does.

And 'how sweet to be a cloud'. He is in love with Pooh!

madamehooch Wed 30-Nov-16 08:14:55

The Day the Crayons Quit

Claude in the City

Alonghardrun Fri 02-Dec-16 21:23:48

There is another post on here I was just reading about www.bookabees.com It looks like you can log in without signing up and use their book suggestion system.

BlueChampagne Fri 02-Dec-16 21:51:05

Harry and his bucket full of dinosaurs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now