Books like The Princess Bride

(14 Posts)
Enb76 Wed 26-Oct-16 13:14:41

My daughter (just turned 8) has just re-read The Princess Bride by William Golding. It's her favourite book at the moment and I'd like to find something similar in that the writing is humorous without being scatalogical. She likes things that smack of mythology and went through all the Rick Riordan output fairly quickly but never went back to it to re-read though she has read and re-read all the Terry Pratchett Tiffany Aching books and she has read and re-read the first three books of Harry Potter. Does anyone have any ideas?

ValiaH Wed 26-Oct-16 13:25:37

The Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke is very good, about being able to read characters in and out of books. Also Eragon and the rest of the series might be worth a look too?

LucyLugosi Thu 03-Nov-16 20:53:06

What about some Neil Gaiman? Stardust is lovely and has some gently written humour.

HelenaJustina Thu 03-Nov-16 21:00:09

I second Stardust, v similar to Princess Bride.

HelenaJustina Thu 03-Nov-16 21:03:08

My 9 yr old is currently enjoying Just William, like laughing out loud enjoying...

HelenaJustina Thu 03-Nov-16 21:04:41

And if she likes mythology, how about some Rosemary Sutcliffe? High Deeds of Finn MacCool

Whyhellodaffodil Thu 03-Nov-16 21:14:25

Yy to the ink heart series and stardust, brilliant books.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Thu 03-Nov-16 21:17:17

Philip Pullman - I Was a Rat!

Also, the Tales from the Dark Forest are very good.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Thu 03-Nov-16 21:20:19

I love Inkheart, but might be a bit scary? Probably worth you having a quick read through just to be on the safe side.

She might also like Tumbleweed by Dick King Smith, and some of Kaye Umansky's books (especially the Wilma ones) would be worth a look too.

Undersmile Thu 03-Nov-16 21:43:36

What about The Never-ending Story by Michael Ende?

mrsmortis Fri 04-Nov-16 11:14:03

The Princess and the Goblin by George McDonald or The Princess Academy books?

BlueChampagne Thu 10-Nov-16 21:39:40

Has she tried the Goth Girl series?

AlmaMartyr Thu 10-Nov-16 21:42:56

My daughter is enjoying the Ingo chronicles and R.J.Anderson's faery rebels series (Knife, Nomad, Arrow, Swift). I always loved The Dark is Rising series. Watership Down?

Pyrrha Thu 10-Nov-16 21:49:46

David Eddings 'the belgariad' series, more fantasy than mythology but it was my favourite when I was 10 or so smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now