audio books for dd

(11 Posts)
Mumstudentbum Sun 16-Oct-16 21:30:04

Hope this is the right place? I'm looking for audio books for dd1 (9) and dd2 (6) pref on cd and pref ones they can both enjoy together. They are both quite girly girls, any recommendations please?

redexpat Sun 16-Oct-16 21:37:28

Have a look at the works website and possibly the book people. It will give you an idea of whats available.

I would go with enid blyton mallory towers, jaqueline wilson, roald dahl.

littlepinkseals Sun 16-Oct-16 21:54:20

My 9 and 7 year olds enjoyed
Opal Moonbaby by Maudie Smith
Maisie Mae, no boys allowed by Poppy Harper
They were riveted by the Indian in the Cupboard books by Lynne Reid Banks

schmalex Mon 17-Oct-16 10:16:04

Holly Webb?
My library also does audiobooks.

mrsmortis Tue 18-Oct-16 10:39:27

Dick King Smith. I spent many a long car journey listening to Saddlebottom or the Sheep Pig. It was something that we could all enjoy as a whole family. The Queen's Nose was another favourite.

Mumstudentbum Sun 23-Oct-16 19:30:33

thank you for the suggestions! i have looked at the book people and online and so far purchased enid blyton mallory towers and some secret seven books.

AllTheShoes Sun 23-Oct-16 19:33:41

TBP have a Roald Dahl set (abridged), I think. Other hits here for my 8yo have been Harry Potter, How To Train Your Dragon and various Arthur Ransome stories, unabridged. But they're a bit too long and complicated for my 5yo, maybe start with the shorter / easier ones (Princess Mirrabelle and the Naughtiest Girl ones are favourites at the moment) and see how you go? My kids both have a CD player in their rooms, so we've got quite a big collection.

BikeRunSki Sun 23-Oct-16 19:39:17

The Worst Witch series
Naughty Little Sister series
Roald Dahl

Ditsy4 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:54:30

Yes, to Dick King Smith we had several of them.
Ronald Dahl Matilda and Charlie
Some of Jacquline Wilson but be careful as some are for teenagers. The Lottie Project and Tracy Beaker were well loved.
Have a look in the library and Waterstones.

mrsmortis Mon 24-Oct-16 10:53:59

Oh - and remember that you can borrow them from the library. We've found that works really well for holidays that involve a long car journey.

BlueBalloonEmma Fri 28-Oct-16 19:28:22

I'd also recommend the "Sophie" series by Dick King-Smith. There are 6 in total, just nice stories about a girl who loves animals and wants to be a farmer when she grows up.

I loved Greek Myths by Geraldine McCaughrean too.

I remember when I used to listen to audio books when I was a child that a lot of "classics" that were just read unabridged were hard to follow, but I loved the dramatised versions of them. Try searching for a list of BBC Cover-to-Cover or BBC Radio Collection titles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now