What next after Diary of a Wimpy Kid?

(17 Posts)
Tommy Sun 16-Oct-16 20:05:33

My nearly 10 year old DS has just got into reading properly. He loved the Diary of a Wimpy Kid but has read all of them and keeps re- reading them! What else would he like? He's done Harry Potter. Thanks

madamehooch Sun 16-Oct-16 20:42:39

David Walliams
David Baddiel
My Brother is a Superhero
Tom Gates
Alex Rider
World of Norm
James Patterson - Middle School
Percy Jackson

Tommy Sun 16-Oct-16 21:42:40

Thanks! A few idea there - he's read a Baddiel one but nor sure which so will check that. Personally can't bear the David Walliams children's books but the other are worth a look. I think older boys have some Alex Ryder so will give those a try too.

GerdaLovesLili Sun 16-Oct-16 21:44:39

These are fun too
www.tommydonbavand.com/books/scream-street/

simonthedog Sun 16-Oct-16 21:47:37

Mr Gum series

DeleteOrDecay Sun 16-Oct-16 21:48:41

The Artemis Fowl series?

GerdaLovesLili Sun 16-Oct-16 21:53:46

And Philip Reeve's Larklight trilogy is very enjoyable...
www.goodreads.com/series/44785-larklight

GerdaLovesLili Sun 16-Oct-16 21:56:52

Has he done the Lemony Snickets?

Tommy Sun 16-Oct-16 23:40:50

Lots of great ideas here - thanks smile

BlueChampagne Tue 18-Oct-16 22:30:09

Has he read How to Train your Dragon?

KitKatLover89 Wed 19-Oct-16 14:49:42

Seconding How to Train Your Dragon and Lemony Snicketts... and maybe Charlotte's Web?

mouldycheesefan Wed 19-Oct-16 14:57:44

I asked this question to wimpy kid author Jeff Kinney when he did a mumsnet web chat! He recommended an Australian author called Andy griffiths. So there you go, from the wimpy kid writer himself,a recommendation.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 19-Oct-16 15:03:07

Phil Earle's Demolition Dad and David Solomons' My Brother is a Superhero.

GerdaLovesLili Wed 19-Oct-16 17:29:04

Impressive Mouldycheesefan!

Guadalupe Wed 19-Oct-16 18:14:11

Great ideas here. Ds1 is dyslexic and has finally got into reading after starting the The Diary of a Wimpy Kid and I was thinking what to get him next. He absolutely loves them.

millymollymandy46 Thu 20-Oct-16 22:21:09

Many already mentioned are great - my sons read a lot and my 8 year old has just enjoyed the Northern Lights by Philip Pullman. Would your son like the Hobbit if not Lord of the Rings?
Agree Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson, followed by his Kane Chronicles and Magnus Chase....
Has he tried the Young Bond - they have been very popular in our house.
Both of my sons, aged 10 and 8 like the Michelle Paver books (Wolf Brother etc) and, as already mentioned, Artemis Fowl.
Dr Who annuals having a renaissance here too due to us watching (re-watching for me) the 10th Doctor DVDs- great fun.
Hope he finds something. But Harry Potter always great too. My eldest rereads them a lot.

Frawli Tue 25-Oct-16 21:45:30

I think there is a new wimpy kid book out soon, perhaps next month? (Just checked, it's due out 1 Nov) So he can actually read more Wimpy Kid in addition to some of these suggestions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now