Book ideas for 11+

(12 Posts)
RandomName9 Thu 22-Sep-16 08:48:50

Can anyone suggest some books for my son who is just 11. He is a good reader & has done things like Skullduggery, young bond, maze runner etc. He likes fantasy & adventure type books but will try any new ideas.

Somerville Thu 22-Sep-16 11:27:27

I found 11 to be the awkward stage, where they're growing out of all the 9-12's fiction (or have read all the long, established series) but the young adult stuff is the right reading level but can be OTT on sex/drugs/violence.

Anyway, here's what my 12 YO son has loved over the past year:

Artemis Fowl series.
Gemini Force One series by MG Harris
CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore - though there's quite a bit of violence in that, so you might want to take a look first and see if you want to wait on them.
Teri Terry's books - teen futuristic thrillers.
The Blackwell Pages series by K.L. Armstrong.
Holes by Louis Sachar. Phoenix by SF Said. To be a Cat by Matt Haig.
Sideways into modern classics too: George Orwell is a good place to start. DS says he's now his favourite writer.

And great to see you're trying to extend him beyond his favourite genres - remember lives beyond his experiences too - kindle is a great way to do this as it's not as evident if there is a girl on the cover. MY 12YO son has enjoyed Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and Pride and Prejudice (though I read parts of the latter with him) and is just starting on Jane Eyre.

I'd also keep an eye out for debut novels for him- if you have an independent book shop near you they'll make recommendations of the new stuff just coming out.
Or set him free in a library...

schmalex Thu 22-Sep-16 22:14:22

How about some steampunk? Cogheart by Peter Bunzl is new and v good, or he could try books by Phillip Reeve (Mortal Engines, etc).

VerbenaGirl Thu 22-Sep-16 22:31:55

My 12 year old loved Holes (as mentioned above) and is now reading a novel by the same author that follows on from this - called Small Steps.

Raider Fri 23-Sep-16 07:09:55

12 yr old ds is enjoying Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner.

mom17 Fri 23-Sep-16 07:22:24

series of unfortunate events
Horrible history, horrible science
39 clues
Rohald Dahl
Warriors series
Spiderwick chronicles
Unicorn Chronicles
harry potter series
percy jackson and olympian series
Artemis fowl

and below classics
peter pan
A wizard of earthesea
Thief lord
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
call of the wild
chrismas carol
oliver twist
white fang
black beauty
lord of flies
war horse
Animal Farm
War of the Worlds
Treasure Island
The Witch of Blackbird Pind
Carrie's War
Anne of Greengables
secret ganden
frankenstein
jane Eyre
Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
Tulip Touch
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Walter de la Mare
The Tempest
Boy (Roald Dahl)
Frankenstein
Grimms Fairy Tales
Oscar Wilde The Happy Prince
Holes
Millions
Beowulf
A Monster Calls
MACBETH
Skellig
Alex rider
Hunger Game
Private Peaceful
Swallows and Amazons books
The Boy With Two Heads
The Great Elephant Chase,
Dracula
The Moonstone
A Midsummer Night´s Dream

Of Mice and Men
The Merchant of Venice

Sherlock Holmes might fit the bill.

And The Dark is Rising

Cheesecake53 Sun 25-Sep-16 10:34:03

I can second many books on here (and am taking notes smile) and can throw the Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo (which my son (11) reads again and again ) and the Time Riders series by Alex Scarrow into the ring.

RandomName9 Tue 27-Sep-16 00:01:44

Thanks for all of the responses!
Yes you are correct Somerville we are def at that "in between stage". We have some book sets waiting but feel they are be a bit much at the mo! What do you think of the kindle? My mum has been trying to get him one for years but I've always said I prefer him to read proper books (not use more electronics). We are now getting to the stage he will finish a book in an afternoon/evening then be after a new one, at £8/9 a book it's costing a small fortune! Our local library is pretty rubbish for this age group so maybe kindle is the next step?!

RandomName9 Tue 27-Sep-16 00:09:18

Wow what a list mom17!! He has exhausted lots of the books mentioned (bookworm boy) but def some new options I can offer! Thanks everyone you are fab smile

Jack London
Leon Garfield
Alan Garner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now