Venturing away from Blyton - suggestions?

(11 Posts)
NoNoNotAgain Thu 22-Sep-16 06:54:00

My dd (8) has finally got the reading bug, we stumbled upon some books she loved and it just happened! At the moment she's devouring Enid Blyton - she's read all the Malory Towers and is on the mystery books now.

Her reading's ok for her age (I think) but she likes quite straightforward stories, not too scary etc.

I'm delighted she has loads of Blyton to work her way through, but am looking for suggestions of other books to try along the way. She's read (and loved) the worst witch series, but didn't get on with Eva Ibbotsen books. She loves Walliams and Roald Dahl on cds, but won't read them on her own. She started The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, but stopped a couple of chapters in.

Any suggestions gratefullly received!

Leeds2 Thu 22-Sep-16 11:07:03

Mr Gum books by Andy Stanton.
Mr Majeika books by Humphrey Carpenter.
Anything by Jeremy Strong!

2014newme Thu 22-Sep-16 11:08:39

Diary of a wimpy kid
Tom gates

5BlueHydrangea Thu 22-Sep-16 11:14:27

Dick King Smith has loads of great stories.
Animal Ark series?

2014newme Thu 22-Sep-16 11:22:39

Animal ark more for 5-6 year olds? Same as rainbow fairies

NoNoNotAgain Thu 22-Sep-16 17:02:54

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, and yes - I've had enough Rainbow Fairies already, don't need more of them!!

Witchend Thu 22-Sep-16 22:16:11

Noel Streatfield. Ballet Shoes is a good start.

Roseformeplease Thu 22-Sep-16 22:26:09

Molly Moon. DD loved them.

The Worst Witch would be a great next step.

Sorry, didn't read the full post. In which case, Ottoline and Goth Girl. The Phantom Tollbooth might also suit.

MrsCillianMurphy Mon 26-Sep-16 07:50:13

Yes to Mr Majeika and Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Other suggestions:
The Secret Garden
Ramona series by Beverly Cleary
Horrid Henry series

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now