Anne of Green Gables series

(17 Posts)

Is there anything unsuitable for a 9 year old in this series? I haven't read them for 20+ years so can't remember! TIA

PlanBwastaken Thu 11-Aug-16 19:37:57

Definitely not! All safe smile

ForeverYazoonique Thu 11-Aug-16 19:39:11

Oh now I want to read them again! And yes, utterly safe

HermioneWeasley Thu 11-Aug-16 19:39:15

All fine. They are wonderful books

NotCitrus Thu 11-Aug-16 19:41:28

All remarkably safe, though the later ones about falling in love and relationships and raising children may not interest the 9yo (and the last one is heartbreaking, plus I'd been under the impression they all took place in my parents' childhood so figured we'd about reached the 1960s, so imagine my surprise when WW I kicked off...)

Thanks all

Elllicam Thu 11-Aug-16 19:44:10

Her first baby does die. Plus the last one has some deaths. I do remember finding the baby death quite upsetting when I first read it. It is an amazing series though.

TheEagle Thu 11-Aug-16 19:48:59

These were firm favourites of mine at that age.

There is a baby death in Anne's House of Dreams but the wonder of the stories outweighs the tragedy I think.

Tuiles Thu 11-Aug-16 19:54:26

Currently reading the first book to my 9yo. She is really enjoying it, but the old fashioned, flowery language and ideas does cause some pauses for explanation.

Lilamani Thu 11-Aug-16 20:17:13

My 9 year old first read her way through them last year and loves them. She didn't really enjoy Anne's House of Dreams though and now on her re-reads, she goes from Anne of Windy Willows to Anne of Ingleside.

LaurieMarlow Wed 17-Aug-16 22:39:20

Um, Rilla of Ingleside is pretty traumatic what with all the war deaths. confused

Fine until then though.

I adore the series - one of the must engaging characters ever created.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

MissisBee Mon 22-Aug-16 21:53:38

There's a death in nearly all of them. Although beautifully written. I'm revisiting all of them via audio book at the minute. Surprising scene in Anne of the Island where they tried to chloroform the cat, although luckily he survived. I was probably about 8 or 9 when I started them, got to to Rilla at about 11.

lolalament Tue 06-Sep-16 11:03:29

I loved Anne Of Green Gables when I was younger. I recently got Emily for my kindle, but I haven't read it yet because I'm worried it won't be as good and will spoil my love for the author

claraschu Tue 06-Sep-16 11:09:20

I never liked these books, in spite of loving any number of classic children's books. Anne always seemed a bit fake and pretentious to me. The chloroforming the cat scene just confirmed my opinion of her, didn't surprise me, much as I was horrified.

Seqkat Tue 06-Sep-16 12:39:52

Ruby's fate in one of them is pretty scary, and Matthew of course - but things to be aware of and discuss with a 9yo I'd think, not things which should be avoided entirely. I actually think they're a great series for starting thinking about death and grief in an appropriate way. All handled very beautifully and sensitively, which helps.

converseandjeans Sat 17-Sep-16 22:25:03

Aaah Gilbert Blythe! Not relevant to the question I know

www.willreadforfeels.com/lists/reasons-gilbert-blythe-best-book-boyfriend-ever-list/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now