A gripping series for a young, poorly 13YO?

(11 Posts)
MartyrStewart Wed 13-Jul-16 22:58:51

My Friend's Son is an avid reader, has had a tough year at Secondary, and to top it off has just had complications to an operation which means he is pretty much out of action for the next six weeks.

I want to get him a series that he will be gripped with, any suggestions? Bonus points if I can order it from the book people and have extra money left for more chocolate and puzzle books. For him, not me grin

pieceofpurplesky Wed 13-Jul-16 23:22:17

The Gone series by Michael Grant and Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness

mrsmortis Thu 14-Jul-16 14:28:25

Is it the sort of complication where he's going to be tired and listless, or one where he's going to be fed up of the constraints being put on him?

If it's the former, I'd suggest and audiobook or two rather than a physical book.

He's probably of an age where Hitchhikers Guide would go down well. Or Pratchett - maybe the Johnny Maxwell books?

If no how about the Alex Rider books?

emmaMBC Thu 14-Jul-16 18:53:07

Have you seen this trilogy - has made quite a splash.

BlueChampagne Thu 14-Jul-16 21:39:49

Has he read Mortal Engines? Or The Edge Chronicles?

BlueChampagne Thu 14-Jul-16 21:41:14

Sherlock Holmes?

GingerAndTheBiscuits Thu 14-Jul-16 21:44:14

Chaos Walking, definitely!

talksensetome Thu 14-Jul-16 21:47:35

Maybe dark visions it's a trilogy.

Stephen king boks caught my attention at that age?

The Divergent Series?

Hrafnkel Thu 14-Jul-16 21:51:12

I really like the Cherub series by Robert muchamore. Not literary fiction, but action and fun. Lots of them, too.

youcantakethegirloutof Thu 14-Jul-16 21:55:56

The Department 19 series - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Department-19-Book/dp/0007354460

A vampire series (but no sparkly RPatz or half naked wolves in sight!) - vampires are hunted by a M15 secret gov organisation & a 14 year old boy ends up working for them. My DSS loved this when he was about 13/14 yrs old & I have to say I read them too & they're energetic, great fun, real page turners!

SunnySomer Fri 15-Jul-16 10:40:53

My DS is currently reading the Tonke Dragt books (Message for the King and Into the Dark Woods - I think). He's slightly younger, but can't put the books down (and I know adults who've said the same thing). Sort of medieval knights, doing missions kind of thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now