Read all Agatha Parrot and Daisy and the Trouble with books - what next

(10 Posts)
backinschool Tue 28-Jun-16 23:34:30

DD1 has suddenly discovered that she can read 'proper books' all by herself and is reading non-stop but I'm struggling to find interesting books for her that are at the right level. She is almost 7 and still wants books with pictures and larger text (sure she could manage more text but I don't want to put her off). So far she has read and loved all the Daisy books by Kes Gray, all the Agatha Parrot books, most of the Lulu books by Hilary McKay and all the Claude books. She tried Clementine Rose but struggled with some of the language so we read it together and she lost interest in Penny Dreadful, Rainbow Fairies (thank goodness) and Horrid Henry.

She loved the Worst Witch series, Girl Wonder and the Terrific Twins. My Funny Family and Amelia Jane when I read them to her but she didn't like any other Enid Blyton. She liked Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but isn't hugely keen on Roald Dahl yet. We've read some Holly Web animal stories and she likes them but finds them a bit samey.

We have lots of books to read together but I'm not sure which other series she could read independently and I'd love some recommendations.

Leeds2 Wed 29-Jun-16 13:19:18

Battersea Cats and Dogs Home books are popular. Each one is the name of the dog or cat who the book is about (eg Bailey, Coco) and are, I think, by various different authors. One is Sarah Hawkins.

Rescue Princesses by Paula Harrison are also well received in the library where I volunteer, although you may think of them as a slightly advanced continuation of Rainbow Magic!

Nixxie The Bad Bad Fairy books by Cas Lester are also popular.

emmaMBC Wed 29-Jun-16 18:01:45

Dixie O'Day are great.

Alex T Smith's Claude series is fabulous too.

Have a look at this one which is also written in rhyme.

And then there's the Invincibles - brilliant fun too.

backinschool Thu 30-Jun-16 10:55:02

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd forgotten about the Battersea Cats and Dogs Home books - I've read some to her but she could prob manage herself now. We tried a rescue princess book and she wasn't very interested but I might try them again now she is older.

Nixie the Bad Bad Fairy, Dixie O'Day, Swashbuckle Lil and The Invincibles all look very colourful and the right level. We haven't come across them so I'm going to look through the library catalogue. She loved the Claude books.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 30-Jun-16 10:56:46

Sophie and the shadow woods.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 14-Jul-16 17:38:46

Second Dixie O'Day. Have a look at the Ottoline books too.

hels71 Fri 15-Jul-16 21:52:12

Mr Majeika?

BlueChampagne Fri 22-Jul-16 21:36:58

Second Sophie and the Shadow Woods and Ottoline. How about Time Hunters?

BlueChampagne Fri 22-Jul-16 22:13:13

101 Dalmatians

backinschool Sun 24-Jul-16 22:57:55

Thanks for the suggestions. We have borrowed Ottoline and the Yellow Cat and Mr Majeika from the library and have Sophie and the Shadow Woods on her wishlist. I've added Dixie O Day to my list for when we are done with those. She loves 101 Dalmations but the version we have doesn't have pics and I've always read it to her.

We've also discovered Oliver Moon and Judy Moody

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now