When to start chapter books?

(6 Posts)
SpanielFace Mon 30-May-16 14:31:23

DS is 3 years 9 months, and loves being read to. I'm thinking of trying him with a chapter book, or am I being silly - not sure if 3 is too young? If its not too young, does anyone have any recommendations? He likes funny stories, stories about animals, babies, trains, superheroes, but is quite sensitive and gets very worried about baddies or anything even mildly scary.

MrsKCastle Mon 30-May-16 14:36:22

How about the Owl who was afraid of the dark? Horrid Henry? My naughty little sister? At that age I'd look for books where each chapter tells a separate story IYSWIM.

SpanielFace Mon 30-May-16 14:48:06

Ooh that's some good ideas. I used to love My Naughty Little Sister!

WhattodoSue Mon 30-May-16 16:56:05

Totally depends on the child! My DD loved chapter books at that age (as MrsKCastle suggests - they had a sort of separate but related chapters). My son is only now really getting into proper chapter books (at 5). My DD loved Anna Hibiscus. But be warned, the chapters aren't a five minute read!

strawberrypenguin Mon 30-May-16 17:04:05

My DS is 4.5 and we've recently started reading chapter books as his bedtime story. He loves them - we probably could have started a little earlier tbh. So far we've read Winnie the Pooh, The Worst Witch and we're most of the way through Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Some bits probably go over his head but we talk through any new words etc as well.

SpanielFace Mon 30-May-16 19:34:48

Thanks. I think we will get a couple of the suggested ones and see how we go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now