Suitable books for 9 year old girl

(9 Posts)
Zina222 Sun 22-May-16 11:49:58

I'm hoping someone can help me. My DD is 9yo. A while ago I saw a list of books aimed at younger tweens aimed at educating them on the upcoming changes to their emotions, hormones, fall outs with friends, boys, body changes, pretty much anything to do with growing up really. I thought at the time it may be a good idea to get a few of the books in preparation for this transition as I think she would subconsciously take in the messages from these books more than if I tried to talk to her about it. At the moment she tends to switch off if I try to discuss things like that so I also feel she would be more open to discuss things with me when the time comes as she will understand that they are normal processes she is going through. Does anyone have any experience with anything similar and could recommend a book or two. I should probably mention they were fictional story books rather than actual information books

VioletBam Sun 22-May-16 14:30:13

At 9 I've found there's not an awful lot of good stuff out there in the vein you describe.

My own DD is 11 now and at 9 was guided towards Jaqueline Wilson by her peers...she hated them...she read about 3 and said "They're all about chips and cancer."

She preferred and still does, the classics such as Noel Streatfield ..saying that, some more modern but not AS modern authors are great...Anne Fine for one.

The Tulip Touch is a brilliant book about a child who meets a little girl who isn't all she seems...but is adept in lying to cover up her sad home life.

Judy Blume is in my opinion far superior to Jaqueline Wilson.

MarianneSolong Sun 22-May-16 14:49:27

I am not sure that there is much fiction that does this well. I'm just in favour of children - both genders - reading well-written stuff that isn't dealing with stereotypes. Plus the age at which people hit puberty varies hugely - as well as how they experience it.

I think it might be worth finding out how school deals with teaching children about their development. Girls also find out a great deal from talking to their mates. Maybe just indicating she can ask you stuff anytime she wants to is enough?

Zina222 Sun 22-May-16 15:09:10

I'm kicking myself for not writing the books down...I can't even remember where I read it. I guess I could try asking at the library too.

VioletBam - she has read a couple of Jacqueline Wilson and she thinks they're okay. The Tulip Touch sounds quite good so I'll take a look at that and Judy Blume.

MarianneSolong - she does know she can talk to me about anything and I like to think she would. The school do have programs in place to teach them about puberty appropriate/inappropriate behaviour from others and she will probably learn a lot from her friends. She does have good friends at the moment but I just remember being her age and not wanting to discuss certain things like people being mean to me as I didn't want my parents feeling sorry for me thinking I had no friends, etc, and I remember going to high school and other children who had been friends since nursery suddenly start being mean and bullying their friend to try to fit in with other groups....I'm being totally irrational I know!! Lol, I just want to give her the best heads up about anything and everything that may happen....but listening to myself now I think I'll help her more of I just chill 😅

mummytomartha Mon 23-May-16 20:22:11

I was a bit older when I read these, but I know they worked for my younger sister. There's a series called The Winnie Years by Lauren Myracle, I think there's five books? Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen and Thirteen Plus One. Each book covers that year of Winnie's life (ten is from her 10th birthday to her 11th, etc). I know they talk about things like periods, bra shopping, boyfriends, friends, kissing, new siblings, embarrassing moments, popular girl drama, etc, if that is what you're looking for?

I also loved Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging growing up but might be a bit older.

Zina222 Mon 23-May-16 21:27:40

They sound really helpful thank you. I'll definitely be checking out The Winnie Years

chaplin1409 Wed 25-May-16 11:39:22

This thread has helped me look at books for my daughters too but if you do find the list please could you let me know

thank you

Zina222 Wed 25-May-16 19:56:02

Of course I will Chaplin1409. I've ordered a few of the mentioned ones too so will let you know what I think when they come

milliemolliemou Sat 28-May-16 16:38:28

Winnie Years sound great, but I'd balance them out with Noel Streatfield and Arthur Ransome and the like so she realizes not all puberty is about difficulties with growing up - it can be about adventure and independence, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now