All quiet on the western front

(6 Posts)
BYOSnowman Mon 09-May-16 18:57:08

Ds (9) has just come home having read half the book. I read it so long ago I can't really judge if it's suitable for him or not - what do you think?

He has read a lot of age appropriate fiction on ww1 and also a lot of non-fiction so the subject itself is not alien to him

BYOSnowman Mon 09-May-16 19:40:40

Bumping!!

PresidentCJCregg Mon 09-May-16 19:46:56

I think we read it in First Year so around 11/12? I would be ok with it, it's an amazing book and if he's interested then I'd encourage it.

BYOSnowman Mon 09-May-16 19:57:39

Dh just mentioned a scene in a brothel? I think I need to have a flick through!!

I don't think a 9 year old would understand or get much out of it tbh. Better to wait until he's old enough to really appreciate it.

BYOSnowman Mon 09-May-16 20:12:42

I agree but he's picked it out and read half of it at school so it's really about whether I let him finish it!

He has a reasonably mature understanding of ww1 for a 9yo and has read a lot of non-fiction. I assume he won't understand the relationships side eg when he returns home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now