books for 9 year old girl

(28 Posts)
booked83 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:26:41

My daughter is 9 and not a big reader... I really want her to read more she hardly reads as it is... Anyone recommend any good children's authors for 9 year old girls!
I used to read famous five or Malory towers (God brings back memories!) probably out of date now though!

CodyKing Thu 14-Apr-16 12:34:58

Daisy books - there's loads

guerre Thu 14-Apr-16 12:40:32

Daisy by Kes Gray? A bit young for a 9yo IMO.
David Baddiel books are funny.
The Lauren Child Ruby Redfort series if she likes mysteries.
Narnia books
Lemony Snicket are v easy to get into
Eva Ibbotsen, ,particularly Platform 13

If she's reluctant to read, would cartoon books be a good idea?
Hilda and the troll series by Luke Pearson are fab, great strong girl character
Zita the Space Girl
Asterix and Tintin are eternally popular.

mouldycheesefan Thu 14-Apr-16 12:46:41

Daisy books are more for 6 year olds although they are fab.

How about Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Tom Gates, both have loads of cartoon pictures in so good for reluctant readers, although may be slightly on younger side perhaps mor for 8 year olds but may be good place to start?

I was a major Blyton fan as a kid but my kids are not interested remotely in f,amours five etc 😢

guerre Thu 14-Apr-16 12:56:30

What else is she into, eg hobbies, sports, clubs etc. I'm sure we could suggest some that tie into those interests.

booked83 Thu 14-Apr-16 13:23:26

*guerre thanks for the suggestions! Other than art that is it... She is a difficult customer! I will try some of the books you have all suggested and even the comic books since she is into art might like them more!
She is slightly dyslexic and can read perfectly well but struggles to understand the text!

notamummy10 Thu 14-Apr-16 13:28:17

Jacqueline Wilson - she has a lot of books for 9-12 year olds. Some of my favourites were the Tracy Beaker series (without her, I never would have been introduced to Dani), Double Act, The Suitcase Kid, Best Friends etc. Also her books are about real life scenarios rather than dystopian.

guerre Thu 14-Apr-16 13:55:39

If she struggles with reading, I could see why she is reluctant! What about something for slightly younger readers, perhaps with lots of pictures, that will be less of a hardship?
Philip Reeves has written 3 books (unconnected) with Sarah McIntyre- Cakes In Space, Pugs of the frozen north, and Oliver and the seawigs. Loads of pictures in those.
Also Chris Riddell is a fantastic illustrator- the Ottiline series is aimed at slightly younger children (but only marginally, my DD still enjoyed them at 9) and the Goth Girl series is perfect for 8/9yos
Jeremy Strong writes v amusing books, probably aimed at 7-9yo.
If you try your local library, they'll have a reasonable selection (but prob not the Riddells, as they're always checked out!)
They have Asterix and Tintin in ours, plus things like Madame Pamplemousse's incredible Edibles, Alan Snow's Here be Monsters is fab (was made into the film boxtrolls) and the illustrations are just incredible.
Jill Murphy has some about animals that are easier to read (owl who was afraid of the dark) plus she wrote The Worst Witch series, which are great books, and very readable.

booked83 Thu 14-Apr-16 14:10:11

Thankyou *guerre I'm on a mission to help her become more confident in reading so will most def look at all your suggestions! smilethanks

guerre Thu 14-Apr-16 15:04:25

Sorry- the owl book (and other animal ones) are Jill Tomlinson! I'm getting mixed up. blush
Is it worth you reading a chapter to her, then her reading one to you, and alternating? Would she let you do that?
If you can find time to read to her every day, that will help foster a love of stories, even if she struggles to read.
There are lots of audio books available too, the library are bound to have some. The legend of Spud Murphy by Eoin Colfer is a v funny one, the Road Dahl ones are all v well done. Harry Potter is available too, if she felt she couldn't tackle them reading.
Good luck!

booked83 Thu 14-Apr-16 15:13:27

Where going to start a book club just me and my daughter have to find a good day though!

guerre Thu 14-Apr-16 15:23:27

Sounds great smile

booked83 Thu 14-Apr-16 15:45:35

*guerre and everyone thanks for your suggestions I'm going to write them all down so we and tottle though them! I'm thinking a Monday when her brother is at karate!

BlueChampagne Thu 14-Apr-16 21:08:01

Second Goth Girl

You could try Marcia Williams (I think) Tales from Shakespeare, in cartoon strip form.

101 Dalmatians?
Charlotte's Web?
How to Train your Dragon?
Wings & Co Fairy Detective Agency series?

Papergirl1968 Thu 14-Apr-16 21:37:26

My dd, 11, still likes the Daisy books.
Maybe try Holly Webb if she likes kittens or puppies.. There are loads of authors who write pony books for girls too. And books with a bakery theme. Ellie Simmons, the Paralympic swimmer, has written a series although I can't think what they are called - they possibly have cupcake in the name.
Best bet is to go to the library or charity shop and get a wide selection.
Sympathies as I struggle to get mine reading too, especially my older dd, 14, due to slight learning difficulty.

booked83 Thu 14-Apr-16 21:43:34

*paper is hard I'm gonna write everyone's suggestions down... I didn't think famous five where still "cool" so appreciate the guidance... She would like the pony books!

booked83 Thu 14-Apr-16 21:44:53

*Blue we have done charlottes web (cause her name is Charlotte!) and a few of those... I'm gonna try down the animal horse route I think! Thanx for suggestions thanks

ParadiseCity Thu 14-Apr-16 21:47:57

Mine loves Enid Blyton, just be prepared for her wanting to go off for the day exploring caves etc with a knapsack.

The Roman Mysteries are v popular here atm.

Also - Dick King Smith, Michael Morpurgo, wimpy kid, Tom gates.

BrandNewAndImproved Thu 14-Apr-16 21:50:29

Mine loved loved loved the percy jackson series. It also helped out knowing the Greek myths when they did the Greeks in school.

madamginger Thu 14-Apr-16 21:51:50

DD likes Tim gates and dork diaries, she also loved the lemony snicket books and diary of a wimpy kid.
She's just discovering David walliams too.
I loved black beauty books at this age but DD isn't so keen.
This is an excellent site for book suggestions www.amightygirl.com/

madamginger Thu 14-Apr-16 21:52:48

Sorry Tom gates!

Ricksheadtilt Thu 14-Apr-16 21:53:58

My dd1 was (and still is to some extent) a reluctant reader. The hit reads for her are/were :
Judy Moody by Megan McDonald
Anything Jacqueline Wilson or factual books I.e. Horrible histories or reference/encyclopaedia type books (I think it's the short Wikipedia type explanation).
What are her interests? Find a book reference or fiction that follows them and go in from there. My dd got into one of her authors because there was a book about a girl who wanted to be a nurse when she grew up, dd enjoyed that story so read another one by the same author on a different subject & off she went. Annuals are good too... Just h

Ricksheadtilt Thu 14-Apr-16 21:55:05

Also David walliams!!! God in this house!!(me too!)

MrsPnut Thu 14-Apr-16 21:57:08

The two my 9 year old loved most were The Bolds by Julian Clary and Uncle Gobb and the Dread Shed by Michael Rosen. Both easy readers and very funny too.

Sgtmajormummy Thu 14-Apr-16 21:58:08

DD (10) and I are enjoying The Borrowers books at the moment. Exciting and sometimes scary adventures, a very positive heroine with loving but flawed parents and a deep underlying respect for nature. We haven't seen the TV series but thought the Studio Ghibli film was true to the wistful spirit of the books.

Reading them together has been a sort of parallel world for the past few weeks and I like to imagine DD will remember it fondly. She's growing out of wanting to read aloud at bedtime but I keep finding one more book...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now