Age appropriate longer books for a 6 year old?

(21 Posts)
2legit2knit Fri 01-Apr-16 11:51:21

DS is reading some of the David Walliams books at the moment, and has started the first Harry Potter (I think I will only let him read the first 2 though), we have the Chronicles of Narnia and a few Roald Dahls. He is tending to get through a book every two days at the moment.
Any recommendations for other books he might enjoy (and that will last more than half an hour!)?

schmalex Fri 01-Apr-16 12:38:05

Oliver and the Seawigs, Cakes in Space, etc by Philip Reeve and Sarah McIntyre.
Jeremy Strong writes lots of funny books that might appeal.

SeratoninIsMyFriend Fri 01-Apr-16 12:45:45

Polly and the Stupid Wolf (4 books altogether I think), Milly Molly Mandy, Pippi Longstocking, Mrs Pepperpot... All older era books and a bit gentler for a younger child! I know they seem more girly at first glance but (apart from MMM) I think they are fine for boys too.

slicedfinger Fri 01-Apr-16 12:46:56

I work with six year olds, and they all seem to love the Flat Stanley books.

icklekid Fri 01-Apr-16 12:49:44

Horrid Henry?

ScarlettDarling Fri 01-Apr-16 12:51:21

What about the Enid Blyton books. I know a lot of people think they're twee but every child I know (primary teacher so I know a lot!) loves them! The faraway tree, famous five, wishing chair, Amelia Jane...all favourites in my house.

What about the Mr Gum books? They're hilarious and my ds used to chuckle aloud as he read them.

2legit2knit Fri 01-Apr-16 13:39:30

Thank you, lots of ideas! He has read all the Horrid Henry books (and watched all the cartoons!) I know he liked Pippi Longstocking when his teacher was reading to the class, and he's read a couple of Flat Stanleys at school, so I'll encourage him to pick those up at school instead of Beast Quest all the time.
I read so many inappropriate things when I was a kid because my parents just let me read anything, so I'm trying to be a bit more careful with DS!
Are Horrible History books as bad as I remember? He's shown an interest in them, but I'm sure they're pretty graphic!

redhat Fri 01-Apr-16 13:41:38

The Atticus Claw books were a big hit with DS2 at 6/7. As were the Stephen Hawking George's secret Key to the Universe books.

redhat Fri 01-Apr-16 13:43:21

Horrible history books are a bit dated IMO (the humour) and a lot of the jokes and cartoons go over their heads but they still seem to love them. I don't think they're too graphic but they are "gruesome" which is different (e.g. explaining how egyptians pulled out people's brains).

iseenodust Fri 01-Apr-16 17:35:49

Mudpuddle farm chapter book.
Mr Majeika
Diamond brothers
Paddington chapter books

FlorisApple Sat 02-Apr-16 12:21:37

I am reading Little House on the Prairie books to my 4.5yo right now and she absolutely loves it, but I imagine they would be even better for a child who could read them himself. Very evocative of a totally different world.

BlueChampagne Sat 02-Apr-16 21:10:06

Astrosaurs
Dinosaur Cove
Charlotte's Web
101 Dalmatians
Skylanders books
Beast Quest
The Giggler Treatment

DS1 enjoyed Sophie and the Shadow Woods, Dick King-Smith's Sophie, Goth Girl and Ottoline at that age (still loves Goth Girl)

BlueChampagne Sat 02-Apr-16 21:10:57

Time Hunters is fun too

2legit2knit Sun 03-Apr-16 18:34:14

Looking forward to taking DS to the library now! Thanks for all the ideas smile
Picked up a set of Faraway Tree books in Costco for £7.99 today, he's engrossed in one already

BlueChampagne Sun 03-Apr-16 20:58:15

Cows in Action
Space Penguins

WidowWadman Sun 03-Apr-16 21:02:09

How to train your dragon (Cressida Crowell), Ottoline and Goth Girl (both Chris Riddell) are all loved by my eldest. She's 7 now and currently into Neil Gaiman (Odd and the Frost Giants, Coraline) , but started them at 6.

JC22334 Fri 01-Jul-16 12:47:46

Tried Change-it Cho, the Clever Tykes books?

happyanddappy Sat 02-Jul-16 23:27:53

The Nina series (there are 3 of them) www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008YUNK9G/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

MsMarple Sat 02-Jul-16 23:34:45

At 6 my DS absolutley loved (and still does at 8!) the Supercat books by Jeanne Willis

Mirandawest Sat 02-Jul-16 23:36:09

Ds really enjoyed the Sophie books by Dick King-Smith at that age.

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 06-Jul-16 22:05:53

I would suggest some of the Roald Dahl (some are aimed a bit too old in my opinion but lots of people wouldn't agree with me), Dick King Smith, Paddington chapter books, Humphrey the Hamster, Famous Five, Worst Witch, Panda Panic, Penguin Pandemonium, Koala Chaos or other such titles, can't honestly remember them but there are loads and my daughter thought they were brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now