First chapter books please

(25 Posts)
ridingsixwhitehorses Thu 17-Mar-16 19:15:40

Can people recommend short chapter books for reading aloud to a scaredy cat five year old please.

dementedpixie Thu 17-Mar-16 19:25:25

Magic faraway tree series?

sarahandemily Thu 17-Mar-16 19:34:53

My dd is a scaredy cat and loves the Holly Webb animal books. They are a bit lame in my opinion and all have pretty much the same story but she likes them

Leeds2 Sat 19-Mar-16 14:11:29

Iggy & Me series by Jenny Valentine.
My Naughty Little Sister series by Dorothy Edwards.
Milly Molly Mandy series by Joyce Lankaster Brisley.

BlueChampagne Sat 19-Mar-16 22:12:43

The Claude books
Dick King-Smith Sophie books
A A Milne

PrincessHairyMclary Sat 19-Mar-16 22:18:52

The Rainbow Magic ones are a hit for my DD. unfortunately rather dull for an adult as they follow the same storyline in each book but I think that's why DD likes them as they are predictable. The bonus is that it introduces them to lots of different career areas, movie star, photographer, baker, journalist, zoo keeper etc.

ridingsixwhitehorses Sun 20-Mar-16 21:14:37

Thank you - will check them all out x

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 20-Mar-16 21:18:16

The 'Ramona' books by Beverley Cleary.

Thebookswereherfriends Sun 20-Mar-16 21:19:08

Arabel and the Raven are quite unusual and my DD thinks they're pretty funny.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 20-Mar-16 21:23:27

Atticus Claw went down well here. There are about 6 of them.

backinschool Sun 20-Mar-16 21:31:24

DD1 loved all the 'Girl Wonder and the Terrific Twins' books by Malorie Blackman. They have really short chapters and nice illustrations so they were good for getting her used to longer books. Then we read all the boring Amelia Jane books and the Daisy series by Kes Grey. She loves Claude but insists we read them in one go so they didn't work as chapter books for bedtime. Now we are reading The Worst Witch and My Funny Family.

backinschool Sun 20-Mar-16 21:34:06

Also Princess Mirror-Belle and the chapter books that follow on from Whizz Pop Granny Stop - she liked the picture books so we tried the chapter books which went down well.

PacificDogwod Sun 20-Mar-16 21:37:40

We just got 'Dogbird' - v funny, 4 chapters and some pictures.
DS4(6) reads a bit, then I read a bit.
He is very proud that he is reading a chapter book grin

PacificDogwod Sun 20-Mar-16 21:39:05

Dogbird

capercaillie Sun 20-Mar-16 21:41:58

Sophie books - Dick King-Smith. Lovely old fashioned stories - ideal if she likes animals
Claude - Alex Smith. About a dog and his friend Sir Bobblysock. We love these - funny and sweet!
Polly and the Puffin - Jenny Colgan. Not chapters but that size book and a good bridge between picture books and chapter books.

ridingsixwhitehorses Mon 21-Mar-16 21:45:49

I remember the ramona books. Loved them.

Twistedheartache Tue 22-Mar-16 09:55:09

We haven't read many chapter books yet, but dd loves the naughtiest girl books.
Just bought her the worst witch for her birthday so hopefully she'll like that too.
Thanks for this thread - am going to add the suggestions to my Amazon wishlist

JimmyGreavesMoustache Tue 22-Mar-16 09:57:18

Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf - the wolf is far, far too inept to be scary, and Polly herself is never frightened in the slightest.

MazzleDazzle Tue 22-Mar-16 10:07:20

The Animal Arc series is great!

You don't have to read them in any particular order. The friendships in the book are lovely and there's always a happy ending!

Throughgrittedteeth Wed 23-Mar-16 21:33:27

I was about to post the same question as I'm out of ideas and DS(4) really only likes them if they've got a few pictures throughout too. We've read The Jolley-Rogers books which were a big hit but might be a little tense/scary at times. These ideas are great - just bought Dogbird smile

mrsmortis Thu 24-Mar-16 08:47:36

How about the Owl who was afraid of the dark? There are actually several in the series.

JC22334 Wed 30-Mar-16 14:58:33

How about the Clever Tykes books?

Teladi Wed 25-May-16 21:38:55

Bumping an old thread up a little but I was looking for the same kind of thing for reading together with my 4 year old (also a scaredy-cat) and got some useful ideas from this thread. Thought I'd add mine for the next seeker:

Pippi Longstocking (as long as he understands the concept of tall tales, mine thoroughly disapproves of LYING though she did really enjoy the book) but do give one of the further books in the series: 'Pippi in the South Seas' a bit of a wide berth, I had to rephrase quite a lot of it on the fly as it's just not appropriate in this day and age and I don't fancy explaining what was appropriate in the forties vs now re: racial terminology!!

Winnie the Pooh was a recent hit, and interestingly she seemed to really get a kick out of Alice in Wonderland as well, though I imagine much of it went over her head! She also loved Milly Molly Mandy as someone already suggested.

I was also planning to get The Worst Witch out of the library and see if she is ready for that.

ineedaholidaynow Wed 25-May-16 21:45:59

The Frog and Toad books are very good too, both to read to your child and for your child to read when they are slightly older. DS loved them when he was 5.

sunnybobs Wed 25-May-16 21:49:25

I've just started reading Teddy Robinson & the Mary-Mary stories to my 5 year old by Joan G Robinson. Also enjoying The Mary-Kate stories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now