"school story" books for 8-yr old boy?

(19 Posts)
Barly Tue 15-Mar-16 13:27:40

Is there anything comparable to the Malory Towers and St. Clare's books that a boy of 8 might enjoy? Our son has read the first Harry Potter book (liked it but didn't read the last pages yet because it was a bit scary) and some of the Famous Five series.

Any books for male or not specifically female-only readers between between 8 and 13 that might spark an interest in boarding schools for later?

Leeds2 Tue 15-Mar-16 15:35:18

Just William might do the trick. I think he was at boarding school! There are some abridged versions, if the originals would be too difficult.

Witchend Wed 16-Mar-16 12:48:47

Jennings.

BlueChampagne Wed 16-Mar-16 13:18:56

The Worst Witch series?

Barly Wed 16-Mar-16 14:16:46

Not sure about Just William - could be too difficult. Jennings is already on his way, and I hadn't thought of the Worst Witch books. Thanks, all!

Sadik Wed 16-Mar-16 20:21:55

Just William isn't at boarding school (though they're still great books smile ) Definitely Jennings!
Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones is set in a boarding school (in a world where magic is forbidden and witches are burned). It's one of the Chrestomanci series, but stands alone very happily.

Sadik Wed 16-Mar-16 20:22:55

If he likes Harry Potter but they're too dark as yet, the Charlie Bone books might appeal, again it's a magical boarding school setting.

Barly Fri 18-Mar-16 11:00:27

Never heard of the Charlie Bone books - they sound interesting.

hels71 Sat 19-Mar-16 15:30:29

Definitely Jennings. There is also Billy Bunter...but I don't know if you can still get them or if they might be too old?

LIZS Sat 19-Mar-16 15:36:24

Biggles?

onemouseplace Sat 19-Mar-16 15:36:43

Ooh - I loved Witch Week when I was younger!

I wouldn't totally discount Mallory Towers and St Clare's - DH read (and re-read) them at that age as he has two older sisters, was a voracious reader and they were lying around.

Barly Mon 21-Mar-16 07:06:01

Yes, a happen to know somebody who enjoyed his sister's St Clare's books, too...

OddBoots Mon 21-Mar-16 07:13:20

James Patterson's 'Middle School' collection is good, they were a good price at The Book People before Christmas, they may well still be there.

BikeRunSki Mon 21-Mar-16 07:15:37

The Mr Majeka series is set in Class 3 (so 7-8 year olds), but in an ordinary primary school.

DS (7) loves The Worst Witch.

Jennings is very dated, and I found I had to keep stopping to explain stuff like rag and bone men and why an 8 year old could go to the cinema by himself for a penny. We didn't really get on very well with the original Jennings, but I think they may have been updated.

Altimate Mon 21-Mar-16 19:25:44

What about Chalet School? I know they are girls, but the stories are good and my son happily read every one he could get his hands on.

pamish Mon 21-Mar-16 22:11:03

Better get some in for poor Henwy Titchener.

marmiteloversunite Mon 21-Mar-16 22:17:01

Has he read any of the David Walliam's books? My DD loved those when she was younger.

FartAtTheMaddingCrowd Tue 22-Mar-16 20:39:12

What about the Naughtiest Girl, also Enid Blyton but the school is mixed. There are six extra books in the series written by Anne Digby, Book People have the set for less than a tenner. Another one here who's 8 year old Ds loves Malory Towers, and the 'updates'. Doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest that it's about girls.

FartAtTheMaddingCrowd Tue 22-Mar-16 20:40:53

Whose, - sorry blasted iPad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now