Healthy eating

(9 Posts)
Jana123xx Sun 24-Jan-16 22:42:56

I've always been aware of the importance of introducing fruit, vegetables,protein,dairy,grains etc to young children from as early as possible. The trouble is a lot of these foods are less desirable to young taste buds and they often need encouragement to eat their Brussels sprouts or turnip etc with meals.

My question is regarding books on the market aimed at making these foods more interesting. A lot of books are geared towards educating adults about healthy eating for children. I'm searching for a book I can read to children which is bright and colourful and encourages them to think about healthy food and try it after seeing it in the book. I have a friend who keeps small containers in the fridge with healthy snacks,such as fruit and vegetables.
If it's the first time the child has tried certain fruits,veg,etc,she takes out a book and shows her child the picture first. I think this is a wonderful idea and it's something I've stared to do (when I've got time) and the children do tend to want to try what they see in the pictures. Can anyone suggest a good book that would fit in with this idea. I've searched the book shelves and I've been disappointed with the lack of books along these lines.

CeciliaMiddleton Mon 25-Jan-16 16:52:19

What about the hungry hungry caterpillar? A classic, certainly very colourful. Will that work? None of these seem quite right, but this list of kids books stood me in quite good stead for new kiddies books at Christmas: www.culturewhisper.com/whisper/view/id/6133

Jana123xx Mon 25-Jan-16 17:30:15

Thank you Cecilia. The hungry caterpillar looks like a start. It's certainly catches the attention.

madamehooch Fri 29-Jan-16 16:23:01

The best thing I've found is an Orchard Game called 'Greedy Gorilla '

Janexx Sun 31-Jan-16 10:10:38

Thank you madamehooch. A friend introduced greedy gorilla to our local nursery and the four year olds loved it. At the moment I'm searching for a for an interactive book for around the 2/3 years plus age group. Since posting I've also been recommended a book called 'eating the alphabet' which is really good,although I'm sure there are other books geared towards making healthy eating fun.

madamehooch Sun 31-Jan-16 14:58:42

There's a series of picture books about a boy called Oliver aimed at encouraging young children to eat healthily. One of them is called 'Oliver's Milkshake '. I think it's probably much more fun to do it by way of a good story rather than just pointing out a few pictures.

Creatureofthenight Sun 31-Jan-16 15:09:44

Yes there's Oliver's Fruit Salad and Oliver's Vegetables.
Lulu's lunch is good.
Also I eat vegetables and I eat fruit by Hannah Tofts have got nice clear pictures.

Janexx Wed 03-Feb-16 19:46:00

Absolutely agree. The Oliver's series sounds more like the type of book I'm looking for,which is basically a colourful book geared towards making healthy eating something that can also be regarded as fun smile

JC22334 Mon 07-Mar-16 10:22:40

Try Change-it Cho, Clever Tykes books series. Gentle messages of healthy eating alongside a strong female protagonist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now