Can you identify this novel?

(8 Posts)
MarianneSolong Tue 29-Dec-15 10:14:26

Children's fiction query. . Possibly published 70s/80s. Dystopian novel - for older children - about a highly controlled/guarded city where inhabitants are assigned roles. Nobody can leave because the outside is savage/dangerous. On reaching the age of 70 inhabitants are killed/subjected to euthanasia. One family rebels because they do not want to take their grandfather to his death and they escape. They discover that the 'savage' outsiders are in fact friendly and civilised, and the escaped family sit down to a meal with them...

Trooperslane Tue 29-Dec-15 11:22:14

Place marking and bumping. Very familiar, thinking cap on.

Sadik Tue 29-Dec-15 15:33:27

We've got it as an audio book! Will see if I can find it . . .

MarianneSolong Tue 29-Dec-15 15:35:16

Ooh thanks. It's just made me want to read the book myself...

Spouse has checked the shelves to jog his memory - but reckons he lent the book to his father...

Sadik Tue 29-Dec-15 15:42:49

I'm pretty sure it's Nina Bawden, 'Off the Road'

MarianneSolong Tue 29-Dec-15 15:48:04

Oh that would make sense, because we have a lot of Nina Bawden novels. In fact Spouse mentioned it as a possibility, but I thought this one sounded a bit more sci-fi than her usual style. Shall check the shelves, in case we have in fact still got it.

CheerfulYank Tue 29-Dec-15 15:51:07

Isn't it Logans Run where they're killed at 70 as well?

annandale Tue 29-Dec-15 15:52:53

Logan's Run they were killed at 30... or at least in the movie? Every Hollywood executive's fantasy world maybe grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now