'Free' Disney books scam! Contact number anyone?

(8 Posts)
JennyC520 Wed 09-Dec-15 10:22:48

Hi everyone!

A few weeks ago I received a phone call about getting 2 free disney books and 2 trial books through the post. I don't know why, but I said yes. I think they got my details from some company. the trial books were on trial for 14 days, then i can keep them and pay a price for them or return them in the post. This issue wasn't even on my mind until this morning when I remembered, I havent even received anything in the post yet except for a letter stating the books will arrive soon and I have 14 days (from receipt of this letter) to trial and return the books! I still haven't received anything and the 14 trial days are either over or coming to the end, and still NO BOOKS. I realise now, this was probably some scam and googling seems to suggest this is the case too. They dont have my bank details or anything BUT people online said they pass your house details etc over to a debt collection service.

I hope noone else has agreed to this as it does seem like a scam. My question is, if anyone did agree to this, does anyone still have the 1st letter they sent? I threw mine away... but now I need the number to contact them and 'unsubscribe' I guess...

mrsmortis Wed 09-Dec-15 13:19:33

Have you tried trading standards?

mrsmortis Wed 09-Dec-15 13:20:56

Oh and if they are a limited company then their contact details will be available from Companies House if they are UK based. www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company

Jelly101 Wed 09-Dec-15 15:16:03

I had this, I kept the two free books and then sent the trial ones back. If you don't send the trial ones back the company starts a subscription service, I think.

JennyC520 Wed 09-Dec-15 21:12:26

Ahh, so they do genuinely send the books. I haven't received any yet and it's been a while since I received the initial letter. Either the books have gone astray or they haven't sent them. Worried they're going to start a subscription service automatically even though I haven't received any books at all.

Jelly101 Wed 09-Dec-15 21:44:10

Yes, I think the two free ones were Frozen and Cars. Just send the other two back and that should be that. I rang the customer service number, just to confirm they had received the return ones and have never been charged anything. smile

ChessieFL Wed 09-Dec-15 21:47:11

Is it www.hachettepartworks.com - they have a Disney subscription thing

JennyC520 Thu 10-Dec-15 13:28:05

Thanks guys! I have sent an e-mail to that company so hopefully I can find out what's going on. Told them I'm not interested in the books anymore since it's been nearly a month and I've received nothing. Hopefully there wasn't a delivery mistake and they'll charge me or something. so worried about scams nowadays!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now